Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Hard Drive - Data Retrieval

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayBlue

JayBlue

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hi there,

I am having a few issues getting the data from an old hard drive which has been passed to me to look into. The hard drive contains documents and files which would be useful if they could be accessed, and were part of a broken desktop (the failure of the desktop is unrelated to the hard drive, so it is unlikely to have been wiped).

The internal hard drive details are: Samsung SP1203N, 120GB, 3.5" with a 40 pin IDC connection. The trouble I'm having is that my first intention was to plug the hard drive into my desktop using a spare SATA cable, but this was before I saw that the connector would not be compatible, and my motherboard does not have either the data or power ports required.

My question is: what are my options? Is there a way to plug the hard drive into a converter of some kind? I'm having a few issues getting hold of one so far.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2018 - 01:05 PM.
Moved from Internat Hardware to Backups, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

you can buy IDE to sata converters.....

a random example.....

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232004&cm_re=ide_to_sata_converter-_-12-232-004-_-Product

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

You can also get IDE/SATA to USB adapters:  http://www.dx.com/p/usb-2-0-to-ide-sata-2-5-3-5-hard-drive-converter-cable-black-283257

If you prefer to have an external power supply:  http://www.dx.com/p/ide-sata-to-usb-ata-serial-adapter-cables-ac-power-adapter-kit-black-392096

I long ago acquired one of the latter, but have very, very seldom used the external power supply.

Edited by britechguy, 09 February 2018 - 01:25 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,014 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

You can also get IDE/SATA to USB adapters:  http://www.dx.com/p/usb-2-0-to-ide-sata-2-5-3-5-hard-drive-converter-cable-black-283257

If you prefer to have an external power supply:  http://www.dx.com/p/ide-sata-to-usb-ata-serial-adapter-cables-ac-power-adapter-kit-black-392096

I long ago acquired one of the latter, but have very, very seldom used the external power supply.

yeah...lots of them out there.....just google "IDE to SATA converter"

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Brian, in your first link that adapter would only work on a 2.5 drive because it has no power brick. 3.5 drives require the brick as the power from the USB port is not sufficient.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

If you have an Ebay account.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-PATA-IDE-to-USB-2-0-Adapter-Converter-Cable-for-2-5-3-5-Inch-Hard-Drive/321866626452?hash=item4af0bef594:g:T30AAOSw~oFZ1Ygz:sc:USPSFirstClass!48124!US!-1

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

John,

I had a problem with the paste and lost my original comment after it.   I have frequently used the version without an external power supply by allocating an unused molex connector from the computer that is having the data transferred to it to power the drive.   Of course, this only works when said computer is a desktop, but since that's been established here . . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 JayBlue

JayBlue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Thank you to all - I'll look into the options listed.

:thumbsup2:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,702 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

John,

I had a problem with the paste and lost my original comment after it.   I have frequently used the version without an external power supply by allocating an unused molex connector from the computer that is having the data transferred to it to power the drive.   Of course, this only works when said computer is a desktop, but since that's been established here . . .

Yep, that works.  :)

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

I use an external drive enclosure, externally powered and connected by USB.  Many different manufacturers but all the same basic idea.  Mine supports IDE, SATA and PATA  so it is an important recovery tool.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

I use an external drive enclosure, externally powered and connected by USB.  Many different manufacturers but all the same basic idea.  Mine supports IDE, SATA and PATA  so it is an important recovery tool.

That's certainly another option, and probably a better one if one anticipates doing this sort of thing with any frequency.  Since my need is very infrequent, I haven't gone that route.  That, and the cables are easy to keep stowed in the trunk of my car should I need them during a service call.

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users