Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need virus protection?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

I have Windows Defender and System Mechanic Pro, what else do I need to protect my PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

Run as a standard user.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

I also recommend Spywareblaster, which gives additional protection without any running processes to do so, and, if you're someone who downloads software, Unchecky.

If you are not using a pop-up and ad blocker in the browser(s) you use you need to add that, too.

Although it certainly doesn't hurt to run as a standard user, it is my personal feeling that this is not really necessary.  With UAC at its default settings even if you are using an admin account you are still going to be prompted before anything is allowed to install.  If someone is nefarious to get around that then I have little doubt they're clever enough to do whatever's necessary to install regardless of the account type being used.

The above being said, using a standard account except when you need to perform administrative tasks may give you more protection.  For myself, I'd go insane given the amount of things I do routinely that require admin permission were I to be running from one of my standard accounts as a matter of course.

P.S.:  I seem to remember that System Mechanic includes a registry cleaner.  If it does, do not use that feature.  If you cannot choose to turn that feature off then ditch it.

Edited by britechguy, 09 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.
P.S. added

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

I have Windows Defender and System Mechanic Pro, what else do I need to protect my PC?

System Mechanic will cause you nothing but harm,

that program is designed to infect your computer with those spam/scam 1-800 call numbers.....remove it ASAP!!

windows defender is fine.....i dont recommend anything else

Edited by mikey11, 09 February 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Get rid of System Mechanic and you will be fine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

Hello,I would recommend a Second Opinion Malware Scanner, like HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, Zemana etc. :thumbup2:

And I agree, get rid of System Mechanic as fast as possible.

Edited by isaccasi, 10 February 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

I'm glad that others are as unenthusiastic about System Mechanic as I am.  I had this years ago and, in my opinion, it caused way more problems than it solved.

I always have a malware scanner that I can use on-demand as part of my system and like both Malwarebytes and Zemana.  I haven't needed either in years, but I will still run the occasional scan.  Under Windows 10 Windows Defender has become a multi-purpose security tool and is vastly improved as far as what it checks for.  That being said, any given product can miss something that another might pick up.  That's one of the reasons that if one is running an antivirus you should definitely have a separate antimalware scanner as well.  Viruses and malware, though both nasty, are not the same thing and as a general rule if you've got something that only targets one it does not target the other.  Lots of products are now either truly antivirus and antimalware and many more are marketing themselves as such (though I have to wonder - Malwarebytes is one of those that's claiming that it can replace an antivirus and nothing I see in it suggests this is the case).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Britech Guy:

1. Please confirm IOLA System Mechanic Pro no good, I should remove.

2. Run CCleaner without registry cleaner

3. I'm running Spyware Blaster

4. I do not need to buy a subscription to an anti-virus program like Norton etc.  I just ended one with Webroot.

New:  While on Firefox a red screen pop-up claiming BIG PROBLEMS and that they were from Microsoft Tech.  What's that about?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

1.  I would ditch System Mechanic.  That choice, however, is yours.

2.  Running CCleaner, sans the Registry Cleaner (which you have to invoke separately from junk file cleaning anyway), on a cyclic basis is a good idea.  You need to check the settings to make sure you're not clearing, for instance, jump lists if you use those.

3.  Update Spywareblaster definitions once every couple of months if you're using the free version.

4.  I strongly recommend using Windows Defender as it ships with Windows 10.  It's a perfectly fine antivirus and is about as "set it and forget it" as you'll ever get.

5.  I would install a free standalone malware scanner, three of which have been mentioned (at least two of which have free versions).  It's good to have one in case you need it.

6. Take regular full system image backups and user data backups to external media.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:02 PM

I needed to rush out the door when composing my last response, and failed to address:

New:  While on Firefox a red screen pop-up claiming BIG PROBLEMS and that they were from Microsoft Tech.  What's that about?

What that's about is trying to sucker you in to calling the number presented, allowing the `technical support representative` remote access to your computer, and said representative loading up malware (often ransomware).

There is not a single legitimate product that will ever present you a warning like this in a web browser.  Immediately dismiss the dialog box/window with that sort of message with the "close X" at the upper right.  If one is not available then try hitting Esc.  If neither of these is available or works then use task manager to kill your browser or simply shut down the system (if you have Fast Startup turned OFF) or Restart the system without delay.

Then, as soon as you've rebooted your system run a scan with Windows Defender and another with whatever malware scanner you've chosen to install.

Edited by britechguy, 10 February 2018 - 06:03 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users