Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive crash

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BradFierro

BradFierro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Hello,

My hard drive just crashed, I took it to a computer repair place and they say they can clone the hard drive to a new one. I would like to take care of this myself if possible. How do I clone a hard drive if I cant start the computer without it shutting down? Step by step instructions would be helpful, pretend Im a child with no understanding of technology.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

you have to hook it up to another computer USB port....

buy a hard drive enclosure, here is a random example......

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182347

if its a laptop hard drive, they sell them for those too

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:15 AM

You can use Macrium Reflect to clone the old hdd and use the image to install the operating system on a new drive.  You will find a good tutorial at Windows Central.

Macrium Reflect is a free application and can be downloaded.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2018 - 10:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:38 AM

You say crashed, are you saying nothing happens when you try to boot?  If it is doing nothing then it cannot be cloned, it needs to have signs of life to do anything.  Try to give a description of the crash, what exactly happened.  Does it still spin, do any front panel lights flicker at all? 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

You say crashed, are you saying nothing happens when you try to boot?  If it is doing nothing then it cannot be cloned, t needs to have signs of life to do anything.  Try to give a description of the crash, what exactly happened.  Does it still spin, do any front panel lights flicker at all? 

The hdd needs to be able to spin up in order to run a program to clone the drive.  This can be done while connected via a USB port on another computer. 

What is the make and model of this computer?

What happens when you start the computer? 

Does it get to the manufacturer's splash screen?

In your first post you stated that the repair shop told you they could clone you hdd and install the image on a new hdd.  Did they actually determine that the drive had failed or is failing, if they did how did they determine this and which was it, failed or is failing?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BradFierro

BradFierro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

When I start up my dell inspiron 17r 5721, you can hear the hard drive trying to work. A blank screen displays a repeating message media:fail.

The repair shop said it was failing, excuse my original description of failed.

My hopes are to get a new hard drive, connect using data/ide to usb, and transfer information.

Can you see any issues with this approach? Am I leaving anything out?

Thanks

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

When I start up my dell inspiron 17r 5721, you can hear the hard drive trying to work. A blank screen displays a repeating message media:fail.

My hopes are to get a new hard drive, connect using data/ide to usb, and transfer information.

Can you see any issues with this approach? Am I leaving anything out?

Thanks

No issues, unless the drive is physically done, no longer working, spinning, or the Heads are stuck, or data is just unaccessable.

You could boot another medium like Linux from a USB, but you will have to have physical access to another computer and some patience.  This would allow you to test the hardware and maybe get all your files off the pc.

This may help you, not the whole exact message, but may be the same, try it out.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/message-checking-media-fail-on-boot/64a75566-0bd0-458a-b9a0-f653b0da0a16?auth=1

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

Let's find out if the drive has failed or is in the process of failing.

You will need to use another computer to download the ISO file and create the SeaTools for DOS bootable disk.

The instructions below will provide you with instructions to download a SeaTools ISO file which you can use to create a bootable disk to run the diagnostic tool.  You will need to be able to boot into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the SeaTools for DOS media (DVD (DVD-ROM) or Flash drive (USB device). 

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10, earlier versions do not have this option.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.  If the short test passes please run the long test.

Edited by dc3, 17 February 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

@ DC3 #8

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.  If the short test fails please run the long test

Did you not mean if it passes the short test run the long one ?

Chris Cosgrove

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

@Chris

Thank you Chris.  I wrote these instructions over two years ago and never noticed the error until you pointed it out. :thumbup2:

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.  If the short test passes please run the long test.

Edited by dc3, 17 February 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

No problem, I have made my share of simple reversal mistakes myself.

Off topic, but !  Congratulations on achieving 30,000 posts that's an awful lot of advice !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

Just my opinion here but if it's crashing you may not want to clone the drive and transfer it to a new drive. You may be bringing all the problem with it. I'd try to back up the important stuff using a Linux Live Disk then reinstalling Windows to the new drive then reinstalling things one at a time. That way if it starts acting up you can uninstall the last thing you installed. Of course you will have to save everything to a different disk than the on Windows will be installed on.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

I have to agree with Henry.  If you used a program like GSmartControl S.M.A.R.T. attributes you could find indications of lost data.  One of the attributes lists all of the Reallocated sectors.  But when a drive starts failing the software which reallocates these sectors may not be able to read the content on this sector and its content is lost.  This is just one potential problem.  If you cloned a drive in this condition and used this to install it on a new drive you could windup with a very buggy operating system which may or may not be correctable.  It isn't worth the possible headache.

You can resolve this potential problem by cloning the drive while it is fresh and updating it when new changes or additions are made to keep your data current.  This needs to be saved to removable media such as an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, a cloud account, etc.  If you don't save the clone to removable media the clone could be lost when the hdd fails which help this copy.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

:offtopic:

No problem, I have made my share of simple reversal mistakes myself.

Off topic, but !  Congratulations on achieving 30,000 posts that's an awful lot of advice !

Chris Cosgrove

Holy mackerel!  How did this milestone slide by without my noticing it? :blink: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users