Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restart Crashes When Gaming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pencilvestor

Pencilvestor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

[attachment=202184:SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip]

Hi, I recently (about a week ago) started to experience random computer restarts (they are always without a BSOD so there are no minidumps being created) It has only happened while gaming thus far, but that is the only thing I use this PC for.  My temps run fine while gaming, CPU pretty much always stays below 50c and gpu below 70.  While gaming, the screen will just turn black and the computer instantly reboots.  No freezing or other performance issues whatsoever. The problem is honestly sort of hard to replicate as I played for about 6 hours yesterday without any restarts at all. 

My mobo voltages are fine, but my cpu voltage seems to be running a bit high.  I don't OC or tweak anything in BIOS atm, everything is default.  BIOS has set the default voltage for my CPU (i7-6700k) to 1.28 and during stress tests it goes up to 1.32 (which I have heard is somewhat high for not OC'ing anything). I set it to 1.2 manual in BIOS and it seemed to be fine, but after about a half hour of gaming, I got my first ever BSOD since building this PC 2 years ago, so I set everything back to default in BIOS for now as to not mess anything else up. 

Also, not sure if it is coincidence or not, but the very first time I experienced the problem on 1/30/18, I downloaded a graphics driver update that "failed to install" and I had to reinstall it.  Like an idiot, I didn't clean install it when it happened, but since then I have clean installed it, and have experience the problem since. 

I passed cpu test and memtest86.

I have also updated bios and chipsets and the problem still happened today. Below is the link to my speccs.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dAlpWw03zdy3OYmGVZXTkmT

Edited by Pencilvestor, 09 February 2018 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pencilvestor

Pencilvestor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

[attachment=202185:admin.zip]

I attached my event logs also above.  As I said, the problem is hard to replicate. I can't seem to get it to happen during a cpu or gpu stress test. All my temperatures are fine, motherboard voltages are good. I did some more research on the i7 6700k voltage and apparently that is pretty normal. The new skylakes are intended to run at a higher voltage and intel doesn't set "stock" voltages on them and lets the motherboard decide. As multiple people on tom's hardware have stated, the i7 6700k is supposed to be able to be ran at around 1.45 without seriously reducing life expectancy. 

I'm starting the think it might be a driver (hoping) or possibly the PSU.  My PSU is the corsair HXi HX 1000i 1000W 80+ platinum, Definitely outputs enough juice for what little I have in the case.  I wanted a big PSU in case I decided to add another GPU or something else. The entire system is almost 2 years old and I have not had one single problem with it until now. No bsods, freezes, or other crashes have happened. And I said before, there are no noticeable performance issues.

Edited by Pencilvestor, 09 February 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Event logs haven't been attached.

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with one of these free utilities: 
SpeedFan:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
HWMonitor:  https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
HWInfo:  https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Pencilvestor

Pencilvestor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hey man, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, I think my attachments got deleted last time I edited my post. Here are my logs and sysnative info. Thanks.

[attachment=202209:SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip]

[attachment=202210:Admin.zip]

The last restart crash happened at around 9:20 pm on 2/8/2018 if that helps. It looks like its still in event viewer.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:48 AM

Please turn off Fast Startup - there's an error in the Event Viewer related to it.
I don't think that this is your problem - but it's certainly not helping you!

Beyond that, there doesn't seem to be any significant errors immediately before the reboot.

Often these are symptoms of a hardware problem.

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
FYI - These are the tests and what we usually see for the reports:

1 - Antivirus/antimalware scans:  In short, if there are Trojans or other serious malware - start over in the Am I Infected forums
2 - Memory diagnostics:  Run MemTest86+ for at least 3 passes.  If booting from UEFI, run MemTest86 instead.  Let us know if there were any errors reported
3 - Hard Drive diagnostics:  Don't sweat the details here.  In short, run the Seagate Seatools Long/Extended test from a bootable disk.  If unable to run it from a bootable disk (UEFI and some others), then run the Seagate Seatools for Windows from within Windows.  There are no diagnostics for SSD's, just run the Crystal Mark tests and let us know if there were any failures
4 - Furmark:  run the test until the temperature stabilizes.  Don't let it get much over 90ºC.  Let us know the temp it stabilizes at and if there were any problems running the test (other than slowness).
5 - Prime95:  run the Blend test for 24 hours (this may not be possible, but run it as long as you can.  Look for errors in the output, or for problems running the test (freezes/crashes)
6 - Video 2 (other video tests):  there's several tests here.  Run all of them.  I'm especially interested in the Video Memory Test.  Let us know the results of the test(s)
  - A - simtek.org memtest
  - B - Video memory stress test
  - C - Artifact Locator
  - D - OCCT - 4 built in tests for CPU, GPU, PSU
  - E - Video Memory Stress Test
7 - CPU tests:  run at least one test on your CPU and let us know the result.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 3703) dates from 2017.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

No MSINFO32 report in the uploaded reports. Please do this:
MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users