Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non System Disk or Disk Error ( but accessible through usb)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blier

blier

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

I have a hitachi 500GB HDD, that i want to install in an old laptop but when i turn the system on , it does no go beyond Non-System Disk, but when i used it as an external drive to another system, it shows up on the usb.

Pls, help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

Well, if this HDD does not have an OS installed on it and ready to boot from, and it's left first in the boot order, you will get the error you describe.  It can work just fine as an external drive because it is not being used to boot from.

You likely need to change your boot order to put either the optical drive or USB drive first and have it be bootable and able to install the OS of your choosing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

Does the 500GB drive have Windows installed on it?

And, just how old is that laptop?  There are numerous older BIOS' that wont work with a drive larger than 127.99GB.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users