Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Great deal! My opinion.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Built-Desktop-Computer-AMD-FX-GIGABYTE-motherboard-Samsung-120GB-SSD/273058292160?hash=item3f938ae1c0:g:uiwAAOSwVVRaauHe

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2018 - 08:53 AM.
Moved from System Building to Buying New - Hamluis.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

No O/S...dated CPU and PSU...small SSD.  No warranties.  Liquid cooling might be a plus on another system...but I have a FX8320 and air-cooling is just all that anyone needs.

All components are dated...doesn't seem as if it's a brand-new system, considering the components.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I'm with hamluis, the SSD size alone is just asking for problems.  I've run Windows on an 80GB SSD and even off loading most programs to another drive I still had space issues.  I don're recommend anything less than 256GB for Windows as the cost savings isn't worth the aggravation you will have with space issues. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

I disagree!  Anyone that does not run a bunch of stuff mainly surfs and plays mid range game would have a ball.  As far as the SSD I just pulled a 500 spinner and installed a 120 SSD in my secondary laptop.  There are many me included who have plenty of room on a 120, not everyone loads the crap out of there systems.  I am a proponent of small drives, saving things that need saving on external media.  Big drives big loss when something goes wrong.  No OS no problem they are selling full versions of 7 just over $25 on Ebay, my preferred OS. The setup may be dated but has all quality parts with good ratings, the average person would think they bought a rocket.  The even bigger plus the price is not fixed the seller is up for offers, still think it is a heck of a deal!

#5 thriftyarek888

thriftyarek888

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

Looks average. I think you failed!

Smartfit888 every day good exercises!

Current campaign: https://www.gofundme.com/Arek888

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

For a gamer yes but for the majority it is a rocket, most people are way over spec compared to their needs, wasted time and $$$.  I run a system similar in performance built back in 2012 it is still considered a very competent game machine.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,660 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

For a gamer yes but for the majority it is a rocket, most people are way over spec compared to their needs, wasted time and $$$.  I run a system similar in performance built back in 2012 it is still considered a very competent game machine.

About which, and entirely separately from the current discussion, I agree with 100%.

Too many people get convinced to buy a lot of things they don't need, and at the very top of that list is technology and/or "bells and whistles."   I have had clients that do nothing other than web browsing, e-mailing, social media (sometimes), and Skype (or similar, sometimes) that have been convinced by sales people that they need a computer that my most demanding business clients couldn't possibly tax to their maximum potential.

My line is always, "You choose the tool for the task(s)."   In the case of computers, I'll give a bit of breathing room for the future, but that's all, if a client asks my advice.  And one of my standard lines is, "If all you do is browse the web, e-mail, and stream media virtually any computer you can buy will meet your basic needs."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Just getting better!  Buy it for the parts!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Built-Desktop-Computer-AMD-FX-GIGABYTE-motherboard-Samsung-120GB-SSD/273068760230?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D47301%26meid%3Db7cbaa7b326141a6b02ca4f1a56bbc44%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D273058292160%26itm%3D273068760230&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users