Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updater s/w

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Is there software that notifies you when there are updates to your s/w and drivers? If yes, what is it called?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,607 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

You should not need anything to notify you with regard to drivers, at least if you're running Windows 10.  

The best software, and it's been frequently recommended on these very forums, for monitoring your installed software and checking for updates to same is Secunia Personal Security Inspector.

I had not remembered that Ucheck has also been added to the BC list of downloads related to this particular task.  See:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/search/?keyword=secunia 

Edited by britechguy, 08 February 2018 - 08:41 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

You should not need anything to notify you with regard to drivers, at least if you're running Windows 10.  

The best software, and it's been frequently recommended on these very forums, for monitoring your installed software and checking for updates to same is Secunia Personal Security Inspector.

Brian, Does win 10 automatically update drivers? How does it work, plz?

thx

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,607 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

Yes, Win10 automatically updates drivers if those drivers are submitted to Microsoft for inclusion in their database of drivers.

I don't know how it works at a nuts and bolts level, but in the early days of Windows 10 a lot of people had to turn that feature off because of all the problems associated with it.  You don't hear very much about that these days, though there are occasional burps in relation to specific pieces of component hardware.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 517 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Ok, Thx Brian.

#6 TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

WIndows does not update drivers automatically to avoid problems. Basically, it does not fix, what is not broken.

Lets say you have Realtek LAN, you will have a driver version 9 from 2015, though the latest one is from 2017.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=realtek%20family%2010.23

Software updaters have a very limited database. If you register at Softpedia, you can add almost any software to your list and receive an email, once it gets updated.

As for drivers, there is Wise Driver Care, it offers only WHQL drivers. Then there is Driver Easy, free version allows you to download at low speed and install drivers manually.

Edited by TairikuOkami, 09 February 2018 - 07:59 AM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

WIndows does not update drivers automatically to avoid problems. Basically, it does not fix, what is not broken.

"Driver updates for Windows 10 and many devices (such as network adapters, monitors, printers, and video cards) are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028443/windows-update-drivers-in-windows-10

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

Yes, the drivers are automatically downloaded and installed, but not the latest one, but the latest reliable ones. Since every upgrade changes Windows 10, they can not risk it.

I had Creative soundcard driver installed by Windows Update and I lost my sound. After a clean install of 1709, I was never offered that update again, not Realtek or Asmedia, etc.

Edited by TairikuOkami, 09 February 2018 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users