Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

faulty PSU or other hardware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sovreer

sovreer

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

Some background on my system. First I want to say this system has almost never been used, because I have been overseas the majority of the time. So all components are in some sense "new" despite dates given. Unfortunately this doesn't make much of a difference since everything is now out of the warranty period.

PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W PSU (purchased in 2013).

The rest purchased in 2016:

Graphics: AMD radeon R9 380.

CPU: AMD FX-8320

mobo: Asus M5A97 R 2.0

Since I returned home at the end of 2017 I have had almost continual problems with the system. First the onboard audio failed. I could get nothing but static through the headphone jacks. Next I started having problems with the USB ports - USB devices would suddenly stop working and I could only get them to work by restarting the system. It seemed sometimes like the whole USB bus became inoperative until restart.

I got a Sound Blaster external sound card and downgraded my system from Windows 10 to 7, tinkered around with things, and finally everything seemed to be stable. I was running the system for about a month with almost no problems.

Then a few nights ago I noticed fan noise became inordinately loud even when the system is at standstill. This has continued ever since. The moment I boot up my system the fan starts blasting away like the system is under intense stress. The noise is as loud as it normally would only be when I'm running a game and the graphics card fans kick in.

Apparently the CPU fan is working overtime, but I'm not sure what it is causing it to do so.

Does anyone have any ideas? And is there any way to test is the PSU is the root of these various problems?

Thanks.

Edited by sovreer, 08 February 2018 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

When units sit for extended periods without use, I do two things.  First I clean all fans and dust off all surfaces with canned air and a short bristle paint brush and then second, re-seat all chips and boards and connectors.  Dust and dirt can build up inside, even when not in use and this will cause intermittent faults with everything.  One big thing to check, which will give the same intermittent, un-related faults is the CMOS battery, replacement is called for on any unit left unpowered for more than six months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users