Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU high and fan running, seemingly from dllhost.exe and WMIprvse.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sj3vans

sj3vans

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

A few days ago, I noticed that my CPU is running high causing the fan to run almost constantly.  I noticed in the taks manager and resource manager that dllhost.exe keeps popping up and then terminating, and WMIprvse.exe also runs sometimes holding onto 30% of the CPU for hours.  I've also just had (while I was writing this) a blue-screen reboot (the first so far).  With all the crypto-currency mining going on, I wonder if I've got something living in my PC.  

I'm using the latest version of Windows 10, creators edition I think its called - I checked and applied all updates.  For Anti-malware/virus my PC has Cylance and Microsoft Defender.   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hours?  Something is hosed as WMI usually only runs for short periods.  Check this article and see if it helps.

https://www.howtogeek.com/332838/what-is-the-wmi-provider-host-wmiprvse.exe-and-why-is-it-using-so-much-cpu/

You are going to have to search thru Event Viewer to try to figure this out  While in Event Viewer you may be able to garner some addional infor on the BSOD..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users