Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Horse4190

Horse4190

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

Hi, I have Asus laptop computer and having trouble to open the Internet Explorer to browse the internet.  The error that I keep getting is "There is a problem connecting securely to this website.  The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid".  Need your help as I am not a very technical person to this.  Thank you

Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Rather than play 20 questions, please download Speccy from Piriform and publish a Speccy snapshot for your computer. Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions for doing this:

- Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Horse4190

Horse4190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

Thanks britechguy.  Just wondered how can I download the Speccy since I cannot access the internet?  I was not able to go any websites as I am getting the error as mentioned using the Internet Explorer.  Chrome or Firefox was not installed also to my computer.  Help please.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

You have simply not offered enough information to even posit a guess as to what's wrong.

What computer make and model do you have?  What operating system is running on it?  What version of Internet Explorer is being used?  What is the status of your internet connection in the system tray? (It's probably OK, based on the error message, but that's helpful to have confirmed).

As to getting other browsers, I would ask a friend or acquaintance to download the installers for same to a flash drive for you, or when you're out stop at your local library or similar to snag them.  There is a standalone installer for Google Chrome and Firefox browsers.

It is also not confirmed that you cannot connect to the internet, just that Internet Explorer is having problems doing so.  There are times when one browser will be cranky and others will not.

Also, how are you posting here?   You clearly have internet access that you're using somewhere to do so.  Download the standalone web browser installers and Speccy installer to flash drive while you're there.

Edited by britechguy, 09 February 2018 - 01:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:29 PM

Is your laptop showing the correct time and date ?

A common cause of problems producing error reports about certificates out of date is a failed CMOS battery and a good indicator of this having happened is the date or time being wildly out. I said 'and date' because I got caught out once by a computer showing the exact correct time. It was only about an hour later I looked at the date as well - it was off by 9 years !

The battery is normally a CR 2032 type and are normally available quite cheaply.

You don't give the model of your laptop so nobody can look at the manual to see what is involved, but if you search on YouTube for 'ASUS + model + CMOS battery' you will almost certainly find a video showing what is involved.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Horse4190

Horse4190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Chris. You are absolutely right. The date and time on my laptop was not set properly. When I updated the time and date, I was able to browse the internet and downloaded the browser I need the Firefox.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Glad it is fixed, but if this happens again it is almost certainly the CMOS battery, which will need replacing. The only problem with this on laptops is that until you look on YouTube or in the manual you have no idea how much work is involved. It can range from trivial to a complete teardown !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users