Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Difficulty In Deleting Items From Startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

There are software programs that I had uninstalled many moons ago that persistently appears in my startup. I had applied varies methods in deleting them, but they keep on reappearing. I had used Msconfig, Window Defender/software explorer, the registry, Autorun, etc.., to no avail. I really appreciate everyone's insight on this annoying issue. Thanks. MGBY.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:28 PM

What are some examples?

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:55 AM

Here are some of the(uninstalled culprits/files long gone?) items that persistanly show up at startup: Aol Faststart, AOLdialer.exe, AOLSPscheduler.exe, Emailscan /Mcafee.com/MCVSESCN.exe, Hostmanager/Aolsoftware.exe, OASCLNT/Mcafee.com/OASLNT.exe, PortNetworkPort/PortAol.exe/ PortMagic, Aol desktop search/Aol.exe, Speedoptimizer/ SPO.exe, SSC Run common file/Aol, HDD health, Second copy. As you can see I had AOL as my ISP and used Mcafee antiviral solutions. AOl, as we all know gets very nasty and hook on to everything- it just refuse to die. Per BCforum moderator jgweed's response to a related topic , I came to learn about Inspector Startup, in which I had downloaded/installed and followed through and deleted the suspects listed above. I don't know whether this would be resolute, but will see. Do you have any suggestion, if the action by Inspectorstartup does not work? Thank you so much for your response and being there for me. Appreciated. MGBY.

Edited by MGBY, 02 October 2006 - 05:06 AM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:17 AM

Do you still use AOL? If not, have you uninstalled the software? It appears you probably already disabled these entries via msconfig. So if you uninstalled the aol software after disabling them, they prob were not removed. If you have already remove AOL you can just remove those entries using autoruns or startup inspector (not familiar with that program)

#5 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

AOL has long been history . I use a different ISP now. AOL and all its associates were uninstalled completely and cleaned out of my system via control panel/add&remove( and registry)long ago(NOT VIA msconfig)(msconfig was used to control startup items/used after I had discovered their appearence in startup). From your response, I think you feel their still may be remnants or orphans lurking around?? After viewing your response, I searched again for them- it came up nil. I had used Autorun, and it has not been successful. I had done everything I can think of possible. I do not know what else can be done?? Thank you very much. MGBY.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

So the entries are now gone? Or are they still there?

#7 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

LAWRENCE: I was just about to drop you a line and inform you of the good news. THEY ARE GONE!!!!!!! INSPECTOR STARTUP worked magic!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE GONE!!!!!!! Glory Halliluja-success at last. INSPECTOR STARTUP is a superstar!!! Everytime, for the longest time I would delete them whenever I log back on; and whenever I log off and log back on again they would reappear at startup again and again and again. Thank you and jgweed and BCForum for availing me to this invaluable tool. Inspector Startup sure is an indispensable solution in managing startup programs. AOL and its minion finally can take that well deserved dirt nap! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THEIR ENDLESS SUPPORT. YOU REALLY MADE THE DIFFERENCE!! YOU ARE THE BEST!! THANKS. Regard. MGBY. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by MGBY, 02 October 2006 - 06:39 PM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

Glad to see it worked :thumbsup: I need to check out this inspector startup so I am more familiar with it in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users