Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forced to Reset Battery Constantly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JK29

JK29

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

So I have an ACER Aspire laptop that is currently running a fresh install of Linux Mint, but has had this problem with Windows as well. 

After leaving plunged in for an extended period of time (over night) AND/OR just leaving it sit there for an extended it will require that the battery reset button be pressed with a paper clip. 

The battery remains at full charge though this process. 

I have tested the power adapter with a volt meter and I'm getting 41V which is way higher than the 19V on the side of the adapter. Is this part of the issue?

Thanks,

JK29

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

It depends on how you measured the voltage, it may be at 19V when under a load but could be much higher without a load.  Also, you didn't say whether this is a DC voltage or AC.

#3 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:10 PM

I had the volt meter on DC. 

Attached Files

Edited by JK29, 08 February 2018 - 07:10 PM.

#4 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

Probably doesn't have anything to do with the charger.

I was wondering if yall knew of another reason for a laptop forcing you to hit the battery reset frequently. 

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

The 41V reported in #1 got me thinking and I went and checked the open circuit output voltages on three OEM laptop chargers - different makes, Sony, Toshiba and Fujitsu - and the voltages I got were 19.4V, 19.9V and 19.2V. Since the rated voltages under load are 19V (2) and 19.5V (1) this is about what I would expect and I would not be unhappy with any OC voltage up to say 21V.

I would re-check that voltage making sure that the meter was set to DC volts and on a range going up to about 200V, different meters have different ranges. If this confirms the open circuit output is 41V, or thereabouts, I would be very doubtful about the charger and I think the best thing would be to replace it or at least try another.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#6 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

Yep it was on DC and the range was 50. I also tested it with the range set at 250 to confirm. 

I then plugged it into the laptop and tested the power plug, which is also getting 41V though it. 

It's defiantly charging the battery though.

Today my wife was using the laptop on battery. Once it got low she plugged it in. Soon after it just shut off. Brought it home, pressed the battery reset button with a paper clip, and it started right back up. 

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

What are the specs on the adapter.  They all have a tag or stamping of the rating, voltage and current but the AC DC designator is just a pair of straight lines for DC and a straight line a sine paireed with a sine wave for AC. The meter being set to the wrong AC/DC will display some strange readings, mostly based on the sampling proccess of the meter itself.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

So I have an ACER Aspire laptop that is currently running a fresh install of Linux Mint, but has had this problem with Windows as well. 

After leaving plunged in for an extended period of time (over night) AND/OR just leaving it sit there for an extended it will require that the battery reset button be pressed with a paper clip. 

I have tested the power adapter with a volt meter and I'm getting 41V which is way higher than the 19V on the side of the adapter. Is this part of the issue?

Thanks,

JK29

Are you referring to resetting the CMOS battery?

Is the time and date on this computer correct?

What is the model of this Acer Aspire?

Please post the error message you are receiving.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 JK29

JK29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Thanks,

JK29

Are you referring to resetting the CMOS battery?

Is the time and date on this computer correct?

What is the model of this Acer Aspire?

Please post the error message you are receiving.

Acer Aspire V5-572P-6610 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRY0124/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No error messages, just shut down. Time and date are right. 

I'm referring to using a paper clip though a hole on the bottom of the laptop to reset the battery. 

Acer Aspire V5-572P-6610 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users