Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panda Antiviral Software Compatibility With Antispyware Utilities

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MGBY

MGBY

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:28 PM

It appears that this forum advocates Panda antiviral software, Spybot Search & Destroy,and Lavasoft's AdAware. Am I correct? Has been considering incorporating Panda antiviral software into my system, but it seems there are compatibility issue in running Panda and other antispyware/malware utilities concurrently?? Any truth to this (compatible with Spybot Search & Destroy and Lavasoft AdAware?)? And, anybody know where I can locate some information on Panda antiviral software's compatibility with antispyware utilities perse( I had Googled and searched and can not really locate any pertinent information on this issue)? All assistance are most welcomed in finding answer to this question. You guys are the best! Thank you everyone. MGBY.

Edited by MGBY, 30 September 2006 - 06:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

While there is no "official" list of applications advocated by BC, many members rely on the same ones to keep their computer secure. Certainly, Spybot and Ad-AwareSE are the top free anti-spyware applications (many members supplement these two with others) that should, I think, be on every computer.
The choice of Anti-Virus applications is more varied. Certainly Panda and AVG are used by many here, but there are several other excellent choices.
Now, the question of compatibility more concerns running more than one Anti-virus at a time, and having more than one anti-sypware with real-time protection running together. Generally, since AVs and ASs look for different kinds of problems, and in different ways, there should be no conflict.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MGBY

MGBY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:45 AM

Yes, I agree in application there should not be any conflict applying them concurrently as AV and Antispyware utilities' inherent behavior and goal specific are different. I am questioning as I had a negative experience with Panda Titanium antiviral solution that left me puzzled about its compatibility with SpybotS&D, AdAware and ZoneAlarm firewall( I do employ all three in my system). Panda, in my opinion ( and my professional friends' view) is a superior AV solution thats worthy of consideration in using it as a viable security utility. I had employed it briefly, and was compelled to abort it due to many days of agony in an attempt to make it work. At that time, to solve the issue, the Panda professionals' final analysis/solution was for me to get rid of AdAware and SpybotS&D. They said get rid of them, there was a possible existing incompatibility issue thats precipitating conflict or instability with these threesome cohabitating togather in the same computer; and deleting AdAware and SpybotS&D will enable Panda to function in my computer appropriately. Since I am question its compatibility again, as I hope that time may have improved upon Panda's technology and mitigated whatever it's inherent problematic behavior was and will elicit confidence to employ it again. Thanks. Regard. MGBY.

Edited by MGBY, 02 October 2006 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users