Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chrismedusa

chrismedusa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hello,

I'm new here and wanted to get some information from you all who may have some more experience than I do. 

We are currently working on setting up a network for our new retail business.

The setup will consist of either cable internet or dsl.

I currently have a brand new dell x1052 switch which I know is a Layer 2 switch.

We will be setting up a 16ch Lorex nvr system, which has all of its own poe ports in the nvr and only will be connection the ethernet to our switch. For the retail side we are looking into running 4 of the Windows PiPO x10 systems the models that have ethernet built into the unit. We also will have 2 standard desktop pc's running in the back. I'm looking at also putting in a ubiquiti wireless AP. I am also considering adding a Dell poweredge R710 server as I have a good deal offered to me on it. 

My set up I would like to run is to have all of the windows PiPOS on their own vlan, the camera system on its own vlan, v lan to the wireless AP, and a seperate vLan for the 2 computers in the back.

To use this same setup would it be better to just invest in a router as needed for the layer 2 switch or should i buy a layer 3 switch?

If I can stick with using the router configuration which router would be good for this set up?

Again this is just my idea if there is better options or any better set ups please let me know. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hello Chris,

It sounds like you have a pretty good start on defining what you want. You really want a good router functionality in front of this, with flexible firewall capability. My suggestion would be a Mikrotik RB2011 or RB3011 style combo switch/router. This could help minimize your complexity and increase security by using physical rather than logical (VLAN based) separation. Don't get me wrong, I am a big VLAN fan and have been designing corporate level networks with them for over 20 years, but for a small enterprise simple wins. Mikrotik routers are pretty easy to understand, there's an awful lot of online help for them and folks that know them, and they are inexpensive. You can assign subnet per physical port unless you need to physically share the cabling. It does VLANs too (or MPLS if you want to get really carried away). This way your Lorex becomes it's own subnet on one (100Mbps if the RB2011) port, the WiFi gets it's own, the PiPOS can use your L2 switch to aggregate into one port, and the two computers and server if it develops can share a 3 port switch group. You can pretty easily define some specific firewall rules on who can get to what. Just my two bits. 

#3 rickey_cook

rickey_cook

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:05 AM

Basically, Layer 3 switches have been used by the big organizations. For example, the IT company which has several departments like Sales, Marketing, Software development, web designing, and many other. Now, Layer-3 switches are the smart device. If you are from the sales department and want to send a file to another person who is in the sales then the request would be in the sales' specific network. Where in the layer-2 switch, the request is broadcasted in all the departments and it increases the traffic of the particular network.

So, Layer-3 switches can be used to decrease the network traffic. In your case, I think going with the Layer-2 switches is the currect option. I'm here sharing a link: https://www.digitalwarehouse.com/switches , I have also bought switches from this link and if you want to know about the Cisco switches and buy you can visit this one.

But in your case, I would suggest you to establish the network with the Layer-2 switch! It would work great for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users