Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not shut down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Docderr

Docderr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hi i'm a newbie to bleeping computer, and i have a problem. My pc will not shut down it just keeps restarting all by it's self. I don't know what to do. can anyone help? Tell me what you need and i'll attach it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

Try tapping F8 repeatedly when it first tries to start, with luck you will be able to get into Safe Mode.  See if that works then one of the techy guys can assist you.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

I recommend: disable automatic restart -- and I cannot remember where that "switch" is located, brb if I find it.

Google is our friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+7+disable+automatic+restart&oq=Windows+7+disable+automatic+restart&aqs=chrome..69i57.12104j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by RolandJS, 07 February 2018 - 02:15 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:01 AM

You say your PC will not shut down - what does that mean exactly? (help us understand the problem)

you choose from the Start button/orb the shutdown option and nothing happens

you choose from the Start button/orb the shutdown option and the instead of shutting down the system restarts instead 

you choose from the Start button/orb the shutdown option and something else happens which you will describe

If your system is restarting by itself it could be you are experiencing a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and you might see a flash of a blue screen with white text which you won't have time to read and when things like that happen Windows will automatically restart - but you can and should change that behavior.

Make these adjustments on your system:

On your Desktop right click Computer, Properties, Advanced system settings and make it look like this:

[attachment=202146:1.jpg]

There is no need to create the Minidump folder as Windows will create one if it needs to.

Then click OK enough times to close all the dialog boxes and restart your system for the changes to take effect.  After rebooting you can go back and check the settings again to be sure the adjustments "stick".

In your next reply you can supply more information that will reduce the number of question asking message cycles if you will do this:

If your system is a Dell what is the Service Tag number?

If your system is HP what is the serial number?

Describe your antivirus/antimalware environment.

Click the Start button/orb in the lower-left corner of your screen. Or, press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.

In the box enter:

msinfo32

Select/click msinfo32.exe and the System Information dialog box will open.

Click on System Summary, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

If you can accumulate a few crash dump files they can be uploaded for analysis.

Edited by joseibarra, 08 February 2018 - 03:01 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users