Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playing Music from DVD on Mate 17.3

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

Hey guys, this is the first time I've ever tried to play music on Linux from a DVD, can you believe that?  Anyhow, thought I should know how to do it for when I sell a Linux pc.  I used VLC and it did not work.  I also tested the DVD Drive by viewing some files on a DVD, so that seems to be working.  How do I play music on Linux Mint?  This is what I see.

ZdD5crS.png

Thanks, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

What kind of audio files are these on that DVD? Dolby Digital, MP3, DTS or PCM? A DVD can even hold high resolution LPCM files, so it is important to know what kind of files you are trying to play.

Also, and maybe even more importantly, what is the exact bit rate of those files. Different software can playback different CODECs, but only of specific bit rate files.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

At a guess I would say that those look like the kind of error messages you get when VLC encounters a badly scratched disc. Can you explain the situation a little further, are these music files ones that you burned to a dvd, or are they on a commercial music CD (I have heard of audio DVDs but they are very uncommon), or are they something else. What files do you see when you look at the dvd in the file browser? Do you have multiple disc drives, were you possible trying to point VLC at the wrong one?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

to rp88, I use to collect DVD Audio discs, I have a couple of hundred. Although I do not think that they even make them anymore, about 10 years ago they were fairly common. I have a bunch of Neil Young and Talking Heads and ELP and literally hundreds of great albums on DVD Audio. My new thing is buying classic albums on Blu Ray Audio discs.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

Sorry guys, this was a music CD, and was just a commercial music CD.  It did not show up in File Manager, but was able to play on Windows 7.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

On the rare occasion that I play a cd.....I use......

image.png

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

Get that from the repos?  Sorry, not on linux now, and not much lately.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

How about...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406036/cheesemakers-linux-corner/page-247#entry4440824

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:14 AM

Good stuff guys, will do asap.  I was surprised to see that I could not do this without installing something, and maybe I can but wasn't able to figure it out.  I'll bet I can do it on my KDE Install! LOL, just kidding.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

Good stuff guys, will do asap.  I was surprised to see that I could not do this without installing something, and maybe I can but wasn't able to figure it out.  I'll bet I can do it on my KDE Install! LOL, just kidding.

Yes, a CD is a lot easier to play than a music DVD. I really can't even think of any software that is available on Linux in order to play a music DVD.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

VLC would be your best bet to handle a music dvd, it does claim to be able to handle them, but if that were to fail I'm not sure if anything else could handle such discs on linux.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,378 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Have you got restricted extras installed?

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Have you got restricted extras installed?

Usually accept that during Install on Mint, or is this different Nick.  I think it is called Third Party Extras or something to that effect.  I will look at it asap and install restricted extras.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Get that from the repos?  Sorry, not on linux now, and not much lately.

Yes, as can be seen in the image posted by Brian, it says 'Software Manager' on top. :)

If it were a .deb file randomly downloaded, would show the GDebi Package installer instead. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,979 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Ha, didn't catch that cat, ADD Kicking in again.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users