Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacking out a DANGEROUS File menu option in GIMP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TCSNinc

TCSNinc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

I've never had this happen until now

and didn't know the option was there until now

but under File in GIMP

right next to 'Export'

Is an option to OVERWRITE the file the file you are working on

If you accidentally select that instead of export there is no going back

Also, this option appears to be context sensitive as it isn't always available but not 

entirely sure what the situation was that made it visible in the File menu

To make sure this never happens again I figure I'll either have to duplicate EVERYTHING before submitting it to GIMP

which is a major slow down

or hacking out the command so that it is non-functional

Is it possible to edit an ini in one of GIMPS data folders, will GIMP still work afterwards, is the command only accessible through Visual Basic?

Does GIMP offer a menu customization feature allowing you to remove options from the File menu??

Edited by TCSNinc, 07 February 2018 - 01:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:08 AM

I assume you aren't referring to Revert, which cannot be undone, but asks for confirmation before proceeding.

From your description, it seems possible you're noticing an addition to the menu that is not a standard GIMP option, but is added by a plug-in:

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-menu.html

"Note

Besides the commands described here, you may also find other entries in the menu. They are not part of GIMP itself, but have been added by extensions (plug-ins). You can find information about the functionality of a Plugin by referring to its documentation."

Edited by Platypus, 07 February 2018 - 02:16 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users