Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browster Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 disguys_dalimit

disguys_dalimit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

I've downloaded this thing called browster which I quickly decided was beyond annoying. When I try to uninstall it from the install/remove programs menu I get the message "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file"

I get the same results when I try to uninstall from the Browster section of the tool bar.

I am using windows XP and internet explorer. Firefox is installed on the computer, but the program was downloaded via IE.

It is not a case of not being an adminstrator, as the computer is not set up for multiple users.

This is my first post here: any help would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

How long ago did you install Browster? If it was in the last three weeks, use system restore. Chose a date and time just prior to when you installed the program and it will be off your system.

Any updates to your OS and other software programs will need to be redone, as will any other software you installed between now and then.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

Try clicking on "tools" then click on "manage addons" if it is there shut it down and then try the uninstall.

Not sure, but you may need to boot in between stopping it and uninstalling.

Edited by buddy215, 30 September 2006 - 05:26 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 disguys_dalimit

disguys_dalimit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Thank you both. The system restore worked fine. by the way, seeing as i'm trying to learn as I go here, what exactly did the error message "could not open INSTALL.LOG file" mean?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

I'm glad the problem is solved.

The INSTALL.LOG is a file that provides the installation directions to the program so it looks for and installs or uninstalls the right things in the right order.

Obvious answer: The program couldn't open the file. :thumbsup: That said, there are many reasons why it couldn't. I list here just a few:

The install.log was corrupt or damaged
The location of the install log was moved so that the program couldn't find it
The install log was deleted

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users