Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba AMD Laptops No Display

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you have experienced this same thing as I have with Toshiba Laptops.  When the Heatsink gets plugged up at like 100% they overheat and tend to shut down and never show anything on the display ever again, and no external can be used either. 

Last time I posted about this there was not to much feedback, and I think most were just dismissing as a bad Video Card, and I don't disagree.  I wanted to revisit the subject and ask again what people thought about repairing one of these.  I hate seeing anything go to the crusher, and many of these are in like new condition, mostly windows 7 machines.  Is it even remotely possible that this is not the Video Card, and therefore could be fixed?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Possibly the processor they do run hot, get one cheap and give it a try!

Do you know if the processors are soldered in?  If they are not that would be good!

Edited by OldPhil, 06 February 2018 - 06:34 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

That's not a bad idea Phil, I was thinking some of these CPU's were separate from the graphics, but I see in this situation it is not.  What are the ones I see with Two Chips, both connected to the Heatsink Tubes, that both require Thermal Paste?

I see this chip was quite cheap, so I will get one in the future to try and fix one.  Unfortunately these Toshiba's are horrible and don't have any good documentation, so I usually just take them to the crusher.  I've seen many that overheat and just plane quit.

Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Here is a good read, wondering if repairs can be made?

https://www.dell.com/community/General/The-curse-of-the-overheated-graphic-chips/m-p/5129052

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

I thought I'd posted this earlier, but . . .

If you have any available that were Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (or upgraded to same before their possible demise) it would be worth learning a few basic Narrator commands and activating the Narrator screen reader to see if there's actually anything functioning even without the screen functioning.

See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22798/windows-10-narrator-get-started

Also be sure you know which Version of Windows 10 you're running, as earlier ones as well as Windows 8/8.1 invoked Narrator via the keyboard one way and the later Windows 10 releases do it slightly differently.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

Interesting bri, these have all been Windows 7 Machines only as far as I remember.  Usually older machines that were not maintained and obviously overheated.  If I do find one that was upgraded or came with Ten I will try this, thanks.  This last one is in terrific shape, and not to shabby on the specs really, nothing special but enough for your average user to browse the web while playing music, creating docs etc.  Or even a really good Linux box!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

But how do I determine if this is one of those that the Graphics are not Integrated into the CPU, but separate, without taking it apart?  I looked but AMD Stuff is so difficult to research.

It appears that it is Integrated, but just how Integrated?  Is it one of those that has the chip separate, and is that still considered Integrated?

The Manual is horrible, I suspect there is a better one available to qualified repair Techs?  EDIT: I found a good manual, and it shows that there are separate Thermal Pads, and I can't tell if those are for the GPU or not, I believe that they are.  So therefore replacing the CPU will not help, can someone confirm this?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/770653/Toshiba-Satellite-L500d.html?page=170#manual

pg:170

Thanks pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:09 AM

I thought the graphics were only integrated for APUs, but could be mistaken.

You could determine the processor used by the laptop model number (there is often only one, sometimes two or more) then look at a site such as cpu-world.com to see the specs on the processor which components are integrated.

The AMD A12 series APU (or any of the A Series) shows this in a dedicated section, see:  http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A12-Series%20A12-9700P.html

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

I did that Brian, but it don't show any physical evidence.  It says Integrated, but integrated where?  Looks like it is integrated into the System Board, and cooled with the same heatpipe that the cpu uses.  I guess I'm confusing this with when a system board has two spots where Thermal Paste is applied like with this picture in this post of mine.  Number 3 and 4 in the top picture, will you tell me what that is?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669924/hp-15-ay075nr-keyboard-removal/#entry4439883

Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

Does your model show in the link in post # 4

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Does your model show in the link in post # 4

What's that matter, that's just a list of noted overheated laptops.  I want to know if the Graphics are built into the actual cpu die, which I believe they are, but still don't understand what the extra die is on the system board?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

If you scroll down it shows the Toshibas that are affected, if it is not in the list itmay very well have the APU integrated in the processor.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M500
2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.6GT/s
 AMD M880G Chipset
 ATI Radeon™ 4200 Graphics with 256MB-1918MB dynamically
allocated shared graphics memory

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

My question is, what are the #3 and #4 pads in this diagram?  This is not the pc in question, but I think I've seen this on these AMD Chips.

ZKiOr0v.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users