Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Start Up Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kungfujesus

kungfujesus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

I have an old compaq computer that was until a week ago collecting dust in corner of my room, i have recently become interested in computers but that is not here nor there. When i boot up the computer, it takes about 7-10 minutes to boot up and even get to the windows start up screen. Once there i must wait until i no longer here the hard drive spinning or the, anything processing before i click on anything or else i get the blue screen of death(i would right the error but am unable to get it now will post if i can get it to happen again). So i shut the computer down and rebooted it up and i was interested i counted about 30+ programs running, some of which were ptsnoop, explorer(even though i had no programs up) this was all at idle. I went looking for the file locations to get rid of these programs but could not find them. so if you have any suggestions i would appreciate it a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

If you have that many programs running there's a good chance you have Spyware< ADware, or perhaps both. My suggestion would be to download Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware (both are free), and scan your computer with each.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

Bleeping Computer has a startup list that you can search for a description of the programs that running on your computer. >>Startup List<<

As Gary335 suggested, running Ad-aware and Spybot may be a good idea. Make sure that they are both updated, restart your computer, run them from within safe mode(using the F8 method). While you are in safe mode, it may also be a good opportunity to run a defrag and scandisk.

Here's a few tutorials that you may find useful if you need assistance with the suggested steps:
Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware from Your Computer
Using Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware & Hijackers from Your Computer
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Also see - Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Hope that helps,

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 September 2006 - 08:27 PM.

JC

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:44 PM

Ptsnoop is for a PCTel modem. Is it required on startup, yes. The modem wont work without it.
At least in my testing.

The best thing to do with an old computer is to format it and reload it clean.
Check to make sure that you can get the drivers off the Compaq site first.

A clean OS is always the best!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:01 AM

What model is this computer and how old is it?

You may have an antique P1 with 32mb of ram!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users