Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easiest option for a windows brightness slider?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

Hey guys, what's the easiest option to get a brightness bar/slider for win10 please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

Opening the System settings, Display pane (which is what opens first under System by default) and using the slider that already exists in Win10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

in Display settings I am not seeing a Brightness and Color option, only a Color heading with a Night light on/off option.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

What version and build of Windows 10 are you on?   If you're not yet up to 1709 you should use the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Here's what System Settings, Display Pane should look like:

system_displaypane.jpg

You can also use the slider that's available at the bottom of Power Options under Control Panel.  If you're using a laptop there is almost certain to be a pair of function keys that increase/decrease display brightness, too.

Edited by britechguy, 06 February 2018 - 02:08 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Even with my Dell XPS machine I have 1709 but don;t have the display setting you are showing:

https://s10.postimg.org/t2716e1rd/Screenshot_2.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

Then I would definitely take a look at:  Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Something's off.   Definitely check to see if the slider appears at the bottom of Control Panel, Power Options as well.  If it's missing there as well something's really off.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

I have 1709 and don't see that slider either.

win10-display.png

But typing in "windows mobility" in search on that page brings up a slider. And other adjusters.

mobility-center.png

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Mine shows the same as yours but in which search bar are you typing "windows mobility" please? Typing it in the Search bar on top left under HOME heading is not showing those options?

https://s10.postimg.org/acjn3hdux/Screenshot_3.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,011 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

If this is a desktop you will not get the brightness option but I could be wrong. From your image you are using a HP L1710 LCD monitor. Are you using an external monitor on a laptop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 February 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:53 PM

My Dell XPS Desktop pc has an external monitor, the HP Pavilion 23 is an all in one desktop, same win10 1709 build on both.

Edited by mystic12, 06 February 2018 - 02:53 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

There might be something about the on board graphics (or lack thereof) at play here, too.

All 4 of my laptops, all of which have AMD A-series APUs with Radeon Graphics, have the brightness slider in System Settings, Display Pane as well as at the bottom of the main Power Options screen under Control Panel.

My old Gateway desktop with an Intel Pentium processor has neither.

All of these machines are on Version 1709, Build 16299.192

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

Yes, the HP owner's Dell laptop with same build has the brightness display too,

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

I would think that the All-in-Ones control brightness either via a menu or a set of hard keys on the side.   That's how it was done on the last HP AiO I worked on, and I seem to recall it was hard buttons on one side of the display.  It's been a while, though.

The monitor on my Gateway, which is a 24" Viewsonic, has its brightness controlled strictly in the monitor itself other than the night light feature, and I'm not sure that will have any effect on brightness on that monitor but should be able to change the color temperature.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Mine shows the same as yours but in which search bar are you typing "windows mobility" please? Typing it in the Search bar on top left under HOME heading is not showing those options?

https://s10.postimg.org/acjn3hdux/Screenshot_3.png

Yes that is where I typed it. Hmmmm...

What happens if you type it, when using the windows key? Click windows key then type "windows mobility". Any results?

EDIT: New Information!

By default, the Windows Mobility Center is only available on a Windows PC (ex: laptop or tablet) with a battery. The Windows Mobility Center is not available on a desktop PC by default unless enabled or the PC is connected to a UPS.

The above quote from:
Enable or Disable Windows Mobility Center in Windows 10

I have a desktop connected to a UPS. Thats why I see it. Without having first, directly enabled the feature.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

If I hit WinKey and immediately type mobility the one and only search result is Windows Mobility Center and I get the same collection of settings that you do, Animal.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users