Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot do anything with an External HDD which appears to be healthy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steveh8204

steveh8204

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Ages ago I formatted a Seagate 512GB hard drive to a different format (HFS+ I think) so I could plug it into my TV to play files bigger than 4gb. For years this has worked fine with my TV and when connecting to my PC. However, recently I registered the drive with my Sony TV to try using it for recording. I then 'de-registered' so I could use it as normal and now it will not come up in the File Explorer window.

It is recognised in the 'Disk Management' app (attached - DM.jpg) in Windows but all the options when I right click are ghosted (DM2.jpg).

I have tried HFSExplorer but that came up with an error message (HFSEx.jpg).

Has anyone got any ideas that might help?

Attached Files

• Attached File  DM.JPG   127.62KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  DM2.JPG   121.39KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

Give gparted a try should get it going, I have rescued several drives and sticks using it.

https://gparted.org/

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Give gparted a try should get it going, I have rescued several drives and sticks using it.

https://gparted.org/

Right, sorted! Couldn't get my gparted disk to boot on my Windows 10 laptop. Something about some security risk. Had to dust down and boot up my Windows XP computer. Clicked through some options I didn't understand and got gparted up and running.

Repartioned and formatted to NTFS and now I'm all sorted.

Thanks for your help. I did actually use gparted to originally format the drive years ago, that long I'd actually forgot about it.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

Good it is Ok!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users