Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Bad Sector impeding a Full backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tony3570

Tony3570

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

Hi, I'm failing in creating a full backup of my laptop which has the following main characteristics.

Flex 2-14D Laptop (Lenovo), Model 80EE59432967, Windows 10 (64-bit)

Disk Drive: ST500LT012-1DG14 SATA DISK DEVICE

The issue seems to be the presence of bad sectors in my hard disk. Both Macrium Reflect and Paragon HD Manager 16 tools suggested to run chkdsk /r/f to fix it.The command runs successfully but doesn't solve the problem.

Seagate Tools for Windows DST and Long Test fail and the tool suggest to run its DOS version. Unfortunately the DOS version is not of help. It can't locate any drive(s) when it's launched from a bootable USB drive.

HD Tune test doesn't report any error (see attached file "HD Tune Scan Report"). Its Health report has an warning ("HD Tune Health Report" file).

I ran EaseUS Check Partition as well. The tool can't complete the surface test. It finds one bad sector (at around 36% of the process) then it stops running between 45 and 56% of the process (it never stops at a precise point-cfr "EaseUS Report")

If it was not for the backup issue I wouldn't see any problem in using my PC. Can you pls. advice if there's a way to repair the bad sector or if I need to replace my HDD to avoid any potential worse scenario?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

You've already got ample evidence that the only way to go is a HDD replacement, and as promptly as possible.

Most disc cloning programs these days will clone your disc ignoring bad sectors.  I would suggest you get a replacement HDD or SSD replacement and clone over that drive as soon as is possible.   You're living on borrowed time.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

If memory serves me that LT is only a couple of years old, may have a warranty on the drive.  IMO put an SSD/HDD as Brian suggests in it, then hopefully get a replacement for free.  You will have he makings for external storage.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

HDTune reports 278 G-Sense errors which is exactly what the manufacturer will check so they can tell you the warranty has been voided; but, while it is much better done using a desktop with a new drive and the failing drive connected as drives 2 and 3, I can virtually guarantee that a drive clone to a replacement drive will work just fine as long as you don't wait (!!!).  Every minute that the PC is on, the drive is getting worse.

Bear in mind, too, that you need a 500GB replacement drive and want to do a physical, sector by sector clone.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Tony3570

Tony3570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:34 PM

Hi all, many thanks for your input. 

I managed to resolve the issue and to create a full backup of my laptop. I'm sharing what I did.

First I was able to launch successfully Seatool for DOS and have it detect my hard disk. To do so I had to change BIOS Options from UEFI to Legacy Mode and from SATA to Compatible (to support IDE).

Seatools for DOS was then able to scan and repair all bad sectors. Right after I experienced a booting issue in Windows 10. I ran Startup Repair option from Windows 10 / Troubleshoot / Advanced Startup Options. It took almost three hours but it fixed the issue(s). At this point the full backup became an ordinary task.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

As soon as the phrase "repair all bad sectors" comes in to the conversation alarm bells should be going off in your head.

As a recent thread noted, a few bad sectors are common on many drives, but that bad sector count generally remains very steady.   You need to be routinely monitoring the bad sector count on that drive and if it is seen to be on the increase, particularly over a relatively short period of time, you should replace the drive or be ready to lose everything on it.  If the number remains steady then you're OK.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Tony3570

Tony3570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Hi Brian,

I will monitor the situation closely.

Many thanks for your time and support!