Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 System Restore Times out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

System restore on my windows 7 pro OS hangs up for about 10 minutes and then displays an "Shadow copying has timed out" error message.

I only noticed this today. Also there aren't any saved restore points anymore when there should be quite a few of them.

I've tried disabling my anti-virus first which makes no difference. I've run Malware-bytes, but didn't find anything. I've uninstalled my full disk backup software just in case, but also nothing.

I don't know how long this bug has existed. I assume it's caused by either a recent windows update or malware.

Any help is greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

System Restore is great. When it works. Unfortunately, there are many users who find that System Restore fails when they need it most. I strongly suggest using a regimented backup scheme with disc imaging software instead. It is more robust than System Restore and when you create images on a regular basis you'll always have a safe haven to which you can return if needed.

#3 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

Thanks. The problem is I can't install windows updates either because the update service creates a restore point before installing an update. If I switch my computer off and there's a pending update it will hang up. Any idea's how I can get around this??

There's nothing wrong with windows update in itself but system restore will always prevent them from installing.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

Have you disabled the Volume Shadow Copy service by any chance? If so, re-enable it, reboot and hopefully you'll be back in shape.

Alternatively, see if anything here helps: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609807/the-creation-of-a-shadow-copy-has-timed-out/

Edited by Allan, 06 February 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

No, it's already enabled. I did check it and it was set to manual so I set it to automatic but didn't do anything.

TBH Although I don't like having things not working in Windows I'm not too bothered about system restore, it's just the windows updates issue that I'm more concered about.

If I download and install windows updates manually from microsoft's website will it perform a system restore before installing the update?

If not, I may have to do it this way from now on.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Candidly I'm not sure - but you can try. You can also try disabling System Restore for the drive and see if that prevents WU from creating a restore point. NOTE: If you disable System Restore, any existing restore points will be deleted (though in your case.....). And again, be sure to have some form of backup plan in place (IMO, disc imaging is the best option).

#7 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

I turned off system restore through System Protection > Configure, but the windows update service still hangs up and says creating restore point when attempting to install an update.

I also downloaded microsoft framework 4.7.1 manually from microsoft website and fortunately it installed without issues.

I don't know if normal security updates will install manually without prompting to create a restore point though, just have to wait for the next available update to see.

Maybe system restore will fix it's self at some point, but for now I guess I'll just have to install all updates manually as they appear in my task bar.

Nowadays windows 7 users only get 1 or 2 rollup updates per month now anyway, so it's not the end of the world.

If anyone figures out a way to fix system restore timeout I would still love to know, but I think that's the best I can do for now...

Thanks for your advice :)

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:33 AM

Do this so we can see what you have:

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users