Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop reliability

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:11 AM

My ASUS laptop is 7 years old. Works great but is not compatible with Windows 10. And after 7 years, probably time to consider a new laptop. I want a Windows 10 machine with very good reliability and very good customer support from the company.

To make this decision I want to review data that shows which company meets my requirements. SquareTrade had an excellent report in 2009 but nothing more recent.

Does anyone know of a good source of data on the reliability of laptops?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:04 AM

IMO searching the ratings on the net would be the best path, on the various blogs it goes the course of personal opinion.  There quite a few testing sites, that should help with you quest.  Your ASUS has served you very well that speaks alot! 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

I have two Acer Aspires 7something series laptops -- which have done very well!

The only recommendation I make to the OP:  purchase and use a USB external cooling fan assembly.  Such has kept my laptops from getting too hot and suddenly shutting down.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

I guess I should add my 6 year old Toshiba and my 10 year old Acer mini both have been great -0- issues.  I gave the Toshiba a boost with an SSD, so worth it!!!  Soon to do the mini with an older SSD removed from my tower.

#5 LASERzzzzzz

LASERzzzzzz

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

if you want a very reliable laptop then i guess you will have to buy a so called 'business' laptop. They are much more expensive than an (average) consumer laptop.

here are some business models on laptopmag.com ('Best Business Laptops 2018'):

https://www.laptopmag.com/best-business-laptops

...greets from germany

Edited by LASERzzzzzz, 06 February 2018 - 11:25 AM.

....i dont like CHAOS but CHAOS likes me! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!! ....live from EUROPE/germany !!!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

Over the last two decades I have owned laptops from Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and HP.   None of these were "business grade" machines and the only one that gave me any trouble was the Acer, and the trouble was repairable by me.

I really don't think there is such a thing as an unreliable computer these days.  It's not that some will not get squeekingly closer to 100% than others, but when you're starting with a baseline of "they all generally work and work without issue" it's very hard to get any statistically significant differences.

When it comes to support, there are definitely some companies that are better than others but virtually all of them have their share of horror stories even if they are good in most cases.  For myself, I don't worry about support because I have never had to call upon it during the period that something is under warranty and after that period I either take care of it myself (these days) or took it to a local technician.  Either one of those options was consistently less expensive than manufacturer service/repair.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'll recommend the business lines of HP or Dell.  These machines come with three years of next day, on site warranty.  The warranties do not cover user damage, you drop it and break the screen, it's on you.  I believe both have accidental damage coverage available for an additional cost.

Like britechguy I don't call for support, and if I do, it is really broken.  Self support is the only thing I'm interested in and both Dell and HP make it easy to get updated drivers for your machine.

As OldPhil said, if your Asus has served you well, you might want to consider them.  All of my machines since my 486DX266 have had Asus motherboards in them and my spouse currently has an Asus laptop.

Reliability is pretty much hit and miss, even some of the best models by the best manufacturers are going to have problems.  You hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:33 PM

They are all decent, if they make the first 90 day burn in they will live a long time.

#9 mattwil88

mattwil88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Go for a Asus or a Toshiba. Those are the most reliable for me.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Unless things have changed I'd avoid Toshiba.  I was working on a Toshiba laptop, back in the 90s, and had to e-mail their support to get drivers.  HP and Dell are much better options, with Dell being the better of the two.  With Dell you enter your machine's service tag and they will route you to everything you need for your machine.  HP you have to search by your model first, but can get everything you need also.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

Let those who doubt be the judge!

https://support.toshiba.com/

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

All I can say with regard to Toshiba is that the touchscreen laptop that belongs to my partner should not be functioning anymore given the beating it's taken over the years, including dropping from the top of a truck bed cover to the pavement, twice.

It has taken a licking and kept on ticking.  Our HPs (and mine, in particular) have not been similarly abused.

In the end I'd be much more concerned with finding a laptop that feels "right" under your fingers.  It is amazing how much difference the touch of a keyboard can make.

I simply haven't had any laptop I've owned in the last 20 years really act up in any way.  They just became obsolete for day-to-day use.

Old Phil said it well:  They are all decent, if they make the first 90 day burn in they will live a long time.

Edited by britechguy, 21 February 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 WilliamsThomas

WilliamsThomas

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:19 AM

I think so dell, acer is also best one option in reliable laptop i also use the dell laptop 5 year old really it work properly ...

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:23 AM

It is time for the mystery to end "What the heck did you buy!!!!!!!!!??????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users