Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make DDR2-800 ram run at 800. Because it won't.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Silhorn

Silhorn

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

Hello,

I bought some ram DDR2-800 PC6400 and it won't boot into the linux mint desktop. If I change in BIOS settings the RAM frequency from 800 to 667 it works.

Memtest says that timing is DDR2-703 CAS 6-5-5-15. In bios the auto settings are:

AjiwRuA.png

It is running on 1.8v standard in BIOS.

What can I change to make it run at 800mhz.

I use another brand RAM cheap G Skill DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 and it runs fine on auto 800mhz.

I notice big change in FPS when playing games in 800mhz compared to downgrading to 667mhz. That's why I want to fix.

Edited by Silhorn, 06 February 2018 - 06:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

You got taken and you need to return that ram and buy it someplace else.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:55 AM

Forgot to mention. I actually tried in another computer at 800mhz and it works. Still think it's faulty RAM?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:11 AM

It's possible, maybe not faulty outright, but could be out-of-spec to a degree that one mainboard handles but the other does not. Sometimes RAM simply doesn't work satisfactorily with a particular board.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

ok I am going to contact seller see if I can maybe return and get another one.

Thanks for the help guys.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:34 AM

Are you running 4 sticks of memory when this occurs and is your processor an AMD.

I have found on some motherboards using 4 sticks of ram can overload the memory controller and so the mother board lowers the memory speed to 677 MHz FSB.

This seems to be an issue on some older motherboards that using AMD processors and 4 sticks of DDR2 memory or has been from my own experience.

Just a thought.

Edited by The-Toolman, 07 February 2018 - 05:42 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

That "DDR2-703" you posted says that the memory is really 667Mhz that can be overclocked.  Setting it to Auto should have shown 800 without needing to force it.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Are you running 4 sticks of memory when this occurs and is your processor an AMD.

I have found on some motherboards using 4 sticks of ram can overload the memory controller and so the mother board lowers the memory speed to 677 MHz FSB.

This seems to be an issue on some older motherboards that using AMD processors and 4 sticks of DDR2 memory or has been from my own experience.

Just a thought.

That is a good point, some chipsets/memory controllers need to run at a lower speed when two DIMMs per channel are used.  That extends to current systems like Ryzen which "officially" only support DDR4-2400 when 2 DIMMs per channel are used (even though in reality many will work at higher speed).

Mixing different CAS latencies in the same system could also cause issues.

CPU-Z shows the SPD holds timings for DDR2-800.  Could the "DDR2-703" reference not just be a bug or peculiarity in how Memtest determines memory speed, as it's neither 667 mhz or 800?

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Silhorn

Silhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:35 AM

I have tried using it by itself and also using 3 sticks of ram. The other 2 being g skill ones.

When first used I did not force it to 800mhz. Was originally like shown in the screenshot. The problem was that at that setting it did not allot me to boot past linux splash screen. Putting in in 667mhz did.

Since my last post in this topic I did a search of the model number on google. This ram was cheap ram I bought from ebay and seems like people who bought the same ram have done some testing too.

They say it runs very well on 667 mhz but unstable on 800. And on reviews from other shopping sights of same ram, some people can't boot at all with it.

I have contacted seller who says is contacting supplier. Don't know how that will turn out. 

Here is link to original listing. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4GB-4G-Memory-RAM-DDR2-800Mhz-PC2-6400-240-pins-Dimm-For-AMD-Motherboard-CPU/132311776960?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by Silhorn, 10 February 2018 - 05:37 AM.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

Many times mixing brands do not play well together even though the spec reads the same.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 794 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

Memtest got that DDR2-703 number by querying the memory and, plain and simple, 703 is not 800.  EBay will let you return it because the item is "not as described" and will forcibly ram it down the sellers throat if it comes to that.  Buy something else that is really DDR2-800.

P.S. Just because it works in another PC with different timing does not change the fact that it is not DDR2-800.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users