Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Installation Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ThePhenom666

ThePhenom666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

My problem is that the computer will not start the graphical user interface portion of the windows xp pro setup. The files are copied to the partition successfully but when the computer says its going to reboot to continue the installation, it reboots and goes right back to the beginning where it inspects the configuration and asks what partition to install it to. I already have the hard drive as the boot priority and it just tells me Operating System Not found when I boot it up from the drive. Any ideas on how to get around that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

hi,

when the computer reboots are you 'pressing any key to boot from cd' again. if so, dont do that at this stage of the installation.

are u formatting the drive before install? i suggest if there is a privious os on the drive that you use the drive manufacturers disk (usually free from website) to overwrite the drive in 0's, and so completely wipe the drive.

also, simple but it happens, clean the disk and the cd drive, a piece of microscopic dirt can cause a lot of probs.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

As rubiconeye said, make sure you aren't pressing anything when it says to if you wish to boot from cd. If you aren't pressing any keys it should go right into the GUI portion of setup. The matter of whether you have a prior OS on your HD is rather irrelevant if you've formatted your drive, because in doing so your starting with a clean slate.

#4 ThePhenom666

ThePhenom666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

I do not press any key, the computer starts up and just says Operating System not found, I know I have installed XP on the computer before, not sure why it doesn't work now. then when it does go from the cd it goes back to the blue screen and shows that the partition has less available space then before so the files were copied correctly that needed to be.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:03 AM

It sounds like you are missing a step in the installation process.

How to perform a Clean Install Windows XP
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:58 AM

Just a guess, but do you have a SATA/RAID/SCSI disk setup? Have you loaded the drivers for it when Windows asks for them? (by pressing F6 to load them off a floppy?)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ThePhenom666

ThePhenom666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:39 AM

It sounds like you are missing a step in the installation process.

Based on that guide I can get to step 15 and when it reboots it goes back to step one

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:54 AM

I already have the hard drive as the boot priority and it just tells me Operating System Not found when I boot it up from the drive.

It still should be booting with the cd as the boot priority at that point because Windows is not yet installed until the installation completes.

Read the installation tutorial and follow it exactly.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

Just a thought - try removing the CD before the reboot at step 15. It may be a corruption in the process somewhere that causes the XP CD to take back over at that point.

This may not fix the problem - but it will remove the ability of the process to start back over again. This may reveal other errors that we can use to troubleshoot the process.

Also, if you're able to access the hard drive with a DOS disk and NTFS reader (or a Linux live distro) you can locate and copy the files in this article to help us troubleshoot the problem: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/Articl...0200/40200.html

What I suspect is that there is either an improper driver, a broken piece of hardware, or an incompatible piece of hardware causing this problem.

In order to minimize this possibility here's what you can do:

1) Run this free memory testing utility: http://www.memtest86.com/
Follow the directions exactly and run it for at least 2 hours (overnight is better). Presuming that it passes, then do step 2

2) Remove everything from the computer that you can before starting setup. Here's what should be left:
Case
Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU, CPU Cooler and Fan
Memory
Video Card
Boot Hard drive
CD Drive
Monitor
Keyboard

3) Then run setup and see if it restarts itself. If it does (and the setup log files haven't revealed anything) then the problem is with the hardware that's left. If it doesn't restart (and completes successfully) then the problem is with the stuff that you removed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ThePhenom666

ThePhenom666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

I already have the hard drive as the boot priority and it just tells me Operating System Not found when I boot it up from the drive.

It still should be booting with the cd as the boot priority at that point because Windows is not yet installed until the installation completes.

Read the installation tutorial and follow it exactly.

It does the same with the boot priority set to cd, I have done a clean install of this exact computer with the exact cd before, so I know the steps to doing it, just that its cycling back to the beginning when it should be loading the gui part.

If I take the cd out before it restarts it will just notify me that an operating system is not installed when it restarts, and nothing will happen, then if I put the cd in the drive it will start out at step 1 again.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

Shot in the dark here, but try this:

After installing and then rebooting, when the CD takes over again run the Recovery Console (in the installation program, press "R" at the first screen. Log on to the Windows Installation using a blank password).

Once in Recovery Console, use the fixboot and fixmbr commands, reboot.

I've never done this, and I don't know if you can even access the recovery console without completing the installation first. But it's what I would try in your situation.

About Windows XP Recovery Console

PS
looking at the above page, I noticed a command called BOOTCFG which may be helpful. Seem to allow you to modify/repair the boot configuration. Try both the above commands first, though.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 02 October 2006 - 05:56 PM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

It seems to me that since something went wrong in the installation process you may have to format and start over again.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

If you are using one hard drive and it's alone on the primary IDE channel, make sure that the jumper setting is set to "Master" as well as the drive itself being connected to the master port on the cable.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Since it has worked on this system before - the problem has to be either with the CD or with the system.

Can you borrow another CD to try this with? Preferably one that is the same version as yours (OEM vs Retail; Upgrade vs Full Version; Service Packs must be the same also)

Even if it isn't the same, you should be able to get just as far as you have already. So, if the setup completes - then it's a problem with the CD. If it messes up again - then it's gotta be a problem with the hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users