Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Pw Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have a windows 2000 machine that i was given when my college was upgrading to our new Dell machines. Now I go to use it but it has a password to it. The one that i was given does not work.

So i used a utility PE disc to reset the administrator password to a. I reboot the machine and it did not work. There is a user account that comes up mpmb222. There are two domains both used in the school. And of course the third is the local computer. I changed login name to Administrator and a for pw does not work. How can i get around this?

Id hate to format the hard drive as it has all of the programs i still use in it. Anyone have any kind of information to help? Thanks Again

salshroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Sorry but the forum rules prevent us from assisting in defeating password or other security issues.

The best thing to do is have the IT department in the college reset the admin password which undoubtedly they will have a disk to accomplish that.

#3 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Ya i figured as much along the lines of defeating passwords. Although i have contacted the school and asked for a correct password. And as described to me from the IT people there. They are unable to work on machines that have left campus that are no longer property of the schoo. In my opinion i think they don't know or don't care to work on it. I have done this on my own <fixing passwords taht dont work using a PE disc> several times but i think the reason it wont work is becuase of the multiple domains. Even though i tried to correct this problem using the Administrator account connecting to the pc as (local computer)

edit : I have already reset the password just it still continues to deny access saying it is the wrong password. Essentially i have already passed the point of defeating passwords. Any idea along the lines of what to do about administrator account / local computer problem? Just to toss this in. the mpmb222 login name with local isnt even recognized by the password reset . Hence why i used the administrator account.

Edited by salshroom, 30 September 2006 - 02:16 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:44 AM

The best thing to do would be to reinstall Windows.

Getting rid of the administrative restrictions that are probably set in that computer will be an exhausting task.

The college probably has an Enterprise license for their Windows installations (I am guessing) and if so are not even supposed to sell the computer with Windows on it.

You may need to invest in a new Installation CD and license.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 October 2006 - 04:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users