Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Finder/CCleaner What to Delete

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

I was reading here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669944/disk-cleanup/?p=4439355

I ran CCleaner Duplicate Finder for the first time ever, many duplicates were found, however I'm not sure what duplicate is safe to delete in a file count? Here's an example of several:

ccleanerduplicates.jpg

Thank you for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

I wouldn't delete any of those files. One file is for the main program and the other is for the building of the bootable media you create in the program.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

I appreciate that John, I'm glad I didn't delete any of those.

Last sample, and your thoughts about a duplicate file has "Temp" in the extension, would the Temp be safe to delete?

ccleanerdupliatefinder1.jpg

Thanks again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

I don't see a temp extension in those files, only .MOV. That would be a quicktime movie file. I would say one of those could be deleted. It looks like it's in some Temp Desktop folder but I can't tell from that image. You can open each and if both are identical you can delete one.

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

Apologies, I did not use my terminology correctly...the "Temp" is in the Path...I expanded the path a bit more which I'll have below. I know I have the .Mov saved in a folder in my pictures (folder named Lexar Flash Drive) however, I do not have a Temp Desktop Shortcuts/Pictures folder?

Expanded sample: 

ccleanerdup.jpg

This Tools feature in CCleaner is uncharted territory for me. I do not have have any urgent need to delete anything, it's that my interest is piqued from reading the other thread. In my quest to learn something new, I feel as though I have opened up Pandora's box! I really appreciate you taking the time in giving me this tutorial. 

Self edit to add a word.

Edited by softeyes, 05 February 2018 - 10:21 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

The Temp Desktop Shortcuts in your Documents folder could be a hidden folder. In any case if you have the same file in your Lexmark Folder you can delete the other but I would first verify the hidden folder in Documents. For this instance I would copy the file to your desktop from the Lexar Flash Drive Pictures folder, delete the file in Temp Desktop Shortcuts using CCleaner, then rescan. You should see two files with one of the Desktop. If that happens you can delete the one on the Desktop. I am saying this because I have never heard of a Temp Desktop Shortcuts folder. Just playing it safe.

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

Hi John! 

Thank you for your directions above which I followed. With the .Mov (movie) copied to the desktop, then deleting the Temp Desktop Shortcut/Pictures, I did not lose the (2) movies. Success. With confidence I continued deleting all remaining Temp Desktop Shortcut files CCleaner found. 

If you don't mind, here is another sample which I not know if to keep both files or delete one? I have looked into File Explorer for both files, even though I found both, I have no clue if both are critical to keep or if I'll corrupt the Microsoft software?

bcdupccleaner.jpg

From this experience (using this tool for the first time) I'm left with pros and cons with this tool.

Pros: it was awesome to free up the hard drive space with duplicate files. CCleaner Duplicate Finder tool will not allow a "select all" for a mass deletion of duplicate files, which allows careful review of what of would be deleted making sure you don't lose anything important. In my case I did have some duplicate picture files (which are intentional) and I did not want to delete the duplicates.

Cons: for me is not having the expertise to know what duplicate file to delete that "might be" critical to software or system operation. Thus the sample I have above for verification. (Note, IMO this con for me is not the burden of CCleaner)

I have concluded in my personal case, if I don't know what a duplicate file is, and I am not able to make a copy for a test like John has directed, leave it alone or post here in BC. 

Again, John, thank you for reviewing the sample above.

An aside: @britechguy, if you read this thread, I really appreciate you pointing out this CCleaner tool. My (small) hard drive was in the red zone, once I safely deleted all of the Temp Desktop Shortcut files, my hard drive is back in the "blue zone" which is awesome!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

Don't delete any system dll files that CCleaner finds. Only look for duplicate files in your USERS directory and then only those files that are types like pdf, txt, etc. Nothing like .sys or .dll files. Also no exe files unless you are sure what they are such as downloading a installer twice of the same program.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 February 2018 - 02:05 PM.

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

You have given me critical direction John, I so appreciate your help and education with the use of this tool! Thank you, from Lisa.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

Your Welcome, glad to have helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users