Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update, now internet goes down, and need to switch router on and off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 James225913

James225913

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:28 PM

Hello, all,

I had a Windows 10 update the other day. Now, after being on the net for a while, the browser will crash, and from that point on the only way I can get back on the internet is by switching my router on and off. Anyone know the fix for this, please? Also just like to take this opportunity to say: ''Windows 10 sucks.'' Cheers :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Does this happen in all browsers?   That's something you need to check.  It could be your web browser that's gone south and power cycling the router makes it reset itself.

You also have the option of uninstalling the update via the Update & Security Settings, but I'd check that the issue is universal to all browsers before going that route.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, dude. Yes, it's all browsers. Amazes me how when stuff like this happens with the Windows updates, it's so difficult to find other people who have had the same thing.

Edit: Awesome. Been on the computer five minutes, managed to reply on here, aaaaand internet off. How is it okay for Microsoft to do this to our computers?

Edited by James225913, 06 February 2018 - 03:44 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply, dude. Yes, it's all browsers. Amazes me how when stuff like this happens with the Windows updates, it's so difficult to find other people who have had the same thing.

Edit: Awesome. Been on the computer five minutes, managed to reply on here, aaaaand internet off. How is it okay for Microsoft to do this to our computers?

You know, you need to consider two things:

1. "Burps" can happen during updates to the system, with any OS, causing unexpected results.
  2. If Microsoft has been supplied with drivers that have flaws (or is electing to use their own flawed drivers instead of those supplied to them by the manufacturer of a given piece of hardware) that can cause problems, too.

Not that I don't feel your pain, I do because I've been there, but it's not necessarily Microsoft that's at fault and blame placement not really useful to finding the solution.

Is System Restore active on your system?   If so, please do a restore to a restore point prior to the issue having occurred to see if that fixes it.  If it does then you have evidence that either #1 or #2 above has occurred.   If it does not, then there is likely something else amiss that coincidentally occurred around the time of the Windows 10 update, and we'd need to determine what, exactly, that is.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Thanks again.

Problem appears to have stopped. Maybe Windows snuck in another update. I'll try the restore if it happens again. I'm certain it was down to Windows though. My internet went off on Saturday, spent a while trying to get it back on, even talked to my ISP, then attempted to restart my computer and got the ''Windows is updating'' thing.

Edited by James225913, 07 February 2018 - 08:30 AM.

#6 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

An ageing and/or failing router can have these same symptoms.The fact that resetting the router "fixes" the browser makes me think it's the router. 

#7 James225913

James225913
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

The routers less than two months old. The fact the problem seems entirely fixed now makes me almost 100% certain it was a Microsoft f*ck up. I remember when I first got Windows 10, every month there was some new issue. Baffling to me how this bunch of clowns gets away with it.

#8 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

The routers less than two months old. The fact the problem seems entirely fixed now makes me almost 100% certain it was a Microsoft f*ck up. I remember when I first got Windows 10, every month there was some new issue. Baffling to me how this bunch of clowns gets away with it.

I've had new routers go bad in hours, rare but it has happened.(I've been through a lot of routers and switches since the early 1990's) I'm glad everything is currently working for you. If you have any other troubles come back and let us know! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users