Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unix issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tonod

tonod

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

hello guys,i wonder if someone out there can help me .i have been running my small business on a unix system since 2000,the system has worked perfectly until a week ago i came in to work and i get a message on the screen the message is cannot open line tty0a001 i/o error < error 5>.i two dumb terminals and it will not comunicate with eather of them.i am wondering if someone can tell me how to trace the problem,thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

@tonod:-

Has this been running continuously since 2000...or does it get downtime every so often, for maintenance & the like? If you've been running the same system all that time, it's quite possible certain parts of it are long-overdue for upgrading, and maybe won't communicate with servers, etc., due to protocols being out-of-date, getting superseded, etc...

I'm no expert with this side of things, but it'll give you an angle to think about till some of the others happen along. Hang in there. Oh, just out of curiosity, what OS are you running (so's we know?)

No guarantees, of course, but we'll certainly try to get you up-and-running again. Just be patient.....time zones don't help, either, since our forum membership even in this sub-forum hails from all over the place. The US of A, Europe, Australia, etc., etc. When some are just getting up, others are ready to hit the sack.....know what I mean? (I'm guessing, from your 'local time', than you're somewhere on the Eastern Seaboard, yes?)

Bear with us, and we'll see what we can do to help.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 February 2018 - 02:10 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Check your power supply and hard drive's health. Seventeen years is a long time for computer hardware.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 linuxvorpal

linuxvorpal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

+1 on hardware problem. I haven't seen tty0a before, but its certainly a communication link.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:51 AM

Hello and Welcome to BC Tonod!

Could you if you can open a terminal and type in:

dmesg | grep tty

and If debian based OS

cat /sys/class/tty/*

and post the output here please.

I/O Errors are Input/Output. usually it's a hard drive but since you said this machine has been running since 2000, it could be a serial port, I too am curious if it has been consistent or had periodic down time.

and to find out the OS please open another terminal and type in:

lsb_release -a

If you cannot open a terminal, CTRL+ALT+F1 should get you to the shell so you can type those in.

Looking forward to your response :)

---------------------------

An Example for the output of: dmesg | grep tty

[                   1.270100] 00:05: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 ( irq = 4, base_baud = 115200) is a 16550A

irq = 4 means that the specific tty, (ttyS0), is "First Serial Port" COM1.

Edited by Viper_Security, 11 February 2018 - 06:07 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

Nice to see you're still about, Viper!  :thumbup2:

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 tonod

tonod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

The machine has been mostly running since 2000,just to give a brief history of it.it used to have 3 dumb terminals and a regular screen terminal that sits on my desk,that is the only screen I have operating right now. I was down to just one dunb terminal +the screen on my desk and when this happened the dumb terminal has not only stoped working but will not even power up,I am thinking that the terminal somehow shorted out and somehow damaged the board on the computer that all the terminals plug into.theboard that the terminals plug into is a stallion technologies ass-e108.i have located a used one and I am thinking of replacing it to see what happens .i would like to be able to locate a couple of terminals and run the system with more than one screen. The program that is run on this system I love and the new version is subscription based and the system as I have it does me very well.i a different board does not fix it I will have no choice but to go in there a try to erase the errror messages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users