Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Macrium Reflect Issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:12 AM

This is becoming more complicated - most of the time Macrium comes up in such a way that the buttons to start a backup are below the bottom of the screen and cannot be activated.  In fact the only thing that is then possible is to use Task Manager to close Macrium, and then reboot the computer.  Perhaps the upgrade to Version 7 did not quite work out?  In that case, would it make sense to uninstall Macrium and install Version 7 from scratch?  Would that obliterate existing logs, etc., and prevent Macrium from recognizing the already existing backup images?  Anyway I am thinking it might be more appropriate to start a new topic somewhere else, since this is really quite removed from the original subject of this thread.

Edited by britechguy, 05 February 2018 - 09:32 AM.
Split from thread in General Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

the buttons to start a backup are below the bottom of the screen and cannot be activated.

I cannot duplicate that problem on either of my computers. 30% of the bottom opening screen is blank by default, and all the command buttons are located at the top of the screen. I am running vs.7.1.2885. What version are you running?

uninstall Macrium and install Version 7 from scratch?  Would that obliterate existing logs, etc., and prevent Macrium from recognizing the already existing backup images?

No, not at all. Reflect is backwards compatible. Try to uninstall and reinstall from new download. Reflect will recognize your previous backups unless they are somehow corrupted, and if that is the case they will not work anyway.

Something does not sound right, and I think the problem is in your computer. What system are you running?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Only MR has buttons below the display?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

If I start MR, click below the disk I want to image, "Image this disk" appears below the said disk, and if I click that, all is well and I can proceed.  If I approach the disk in another way (i.e. click on "image selected disk") I get the window that runs off the screen to the bottom, and nothing I can do will move it.  Since the "Cancel" button is also down there below the bottom of the screen, I can't back out, and can escape only by using Task Manager to end the Macrium process.

The other and more important problem I am having is backups crashing because of read errors.  I succeeded (after a few failures) in imaging the partitions required to restore the system (all of those partitions are located on one internal physical disk inside the Dell XPS 8700).  Then I tried to image the external hard drive (a 2 TB Western Digital My Book, with about 450 GB of data on it).  This attempt regularly crashes with a disk read error, but not always at the same point.  Once it ran all the way to completion before crashing, but more usually it crashes within a few minutes after starting, with a CRC error.  I do not otherwise, that I can see, have any difficulty accessing or opening files on the My Book drive.  It contains a large number of videos, one set of backups made using the WD software native to that drive, and another set of backups consisting of a direct copy of the entire file tree of data files on the main hard drive at the time.  All those files appear to be accessible in the normal way, I don't get read errors when I try to look at their contents, or to play some of the videos (mostly natural history films, David Attenborough stuff etc.).

One thing I notice is a great difference in speed.  When making a MR image of partitions on the internal hard drive, I observe a transfer rate of about 1.2 GB/s.  When trying to image the external WD drive (connected via USB cable) I observe a transfer rate somewhere below 250 MB/s.  Am I correct in thinking that reflects a limitation imposed by the USB 2.0 connection?

I am probably guilty of not having done sufficient homework on the Macrium system before trying to use it.  I have now downloaded and am studying (time permitting) the user manuals for MR version 6 and for version 7.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Only MR has buttons below the display?

Earlier, I was going to ask -- is it possible that the display was set to 125 -150%?  However, since the OP implies that it only happens to MR, I decided to await the answer to the above question.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

First, did you try deleting and reinstalling Reflect from a fresh download?

Second, you may have an additional problem besides Reflect; M.Reflect will not create read errors from your hard drive. If you are, indeed, getting read errors that is coming from your drive, not Macrium Reflect. You may want to check out your main drive and your backup drive as well.

You can use Seatools for Windows for this. Run the short test first, and if it finds bad sectors, run the long test. If you have a Toshiba drive, use Gsmart Control.

The easiest way to backup your system is to create a system image. Very easy. The Reflect screen appears complated, but that is because MR offers many different options for certain situations; you can ignore most of them. I know you already described the procedure that gives you problems, but here is it again anyway just in case I am missing something.

> Click the Reflect shortcut on your desktop, Reflect opens.

> Reflect has regular updates, be sure to always update if it offers to.

> If you haven't yet, make an emergency restore disk. You will definitely need this in the event of a partition corruption, or a mechanical failure of some kind that prevents the computer from booting. You can make this by choosing "Other Tasks / Create Rescue Media at the top left headers.

> Have your backup drive connected. In the screen, place a check mark on ONLY System Reserved and your main Windows partitions; no others. Your backup drive may be showing, but do not put a check on it (obviously).

> Under Backup Tasks (left menu on the screen) click on Image Selected Disks on this Computer.

> In the Disk Image screen, under the Destination header, Folder should be enabled; make sure that the drive letter there is the same as your backup drive.

> Still in the Disk Image screen, deselect (clear) the checkbox Use Image ID as File Name

> Underneath it in the text box, type in the current date. I use all caps, for example:  FEBRUARY_8_2018. If you should need to perform a restore in the future, this makes it very clear and easy to understand which file you will choose to restore if you have several going back several months, like I do.

> Click Finish, lower right of screen.

> In the Backup Save Options box, Enter A Name For This Backup, enter current date.

> Click OK and the backup starts.

> In the active backup screen is the option to shut down the computer on completion. You can start the backup before retiring for the night and it will be done in the AM with the computer shut down.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

OK, let me take some of those in order:

Re: #2, this computer is running windows 10 Pro 64 bit, version 1709, build 16299.192

It is a Dell XPS 8700 with CPU Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz, 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB Seagate internal HDD, NVIDIA graphics card with 4 GB graphics memory, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N SCSI CdRom Device optical drive.

A 2 TB external HDD (Western Digital My Book) is semi-permanently connected via USB cable.  A 3 TB Seagate Backup Plus and a 2 TB WD My Passport serve as backup, connected to the computer only when actually in use

Re: #3, yes, I have never seen this before (immovable windows) in any other software

Re; #5, no, the display is not set to any exotic proportions

Re: #6, I have not yet re-installed MR 7, that will be my next step

I have already successfully (after a couple of false starts) imaged the partitions required to restore my Windows system - in practice that is the partitions on the internal HDD, but not the external My Book HDD

So after reinstalling MR 7 my first move will be to create rescue media

I take your point about using more intelligible names for the backup file names.  I am accustomed to putting the date as yyyy-mm-dd in file names of all sorts of documents anyway.

I am a water district manager and have to do something like that to be able even to find the dozens of public documents I deal with (not on this computer, though) on a daily basis.

In the meantime I am running a Sea Tools long scan on the external drive (WD My Book 2 TB via USB) to see if there is a problem there.  It has already passed the short self-test.

I have to say I have never had a problem reading or using (e.g. playing) a file on that disk - some of which are 30 minute video documentaries

BTW it is the Disk Image screen that appears too low (and immovably so) if I click on Image Selected Disks instead of clicking below the disk list to pop up Image This Disk

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:30 AM

I am running a Sea Tools long scan on the external drive

That's good; don't forget to run it on your main drive, the internal 1TB Seagate. 

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

Until now my time has been completely monopolized by various other emergencies, not computer related.  I mentioned getting read errors when trying to back up the external HDD.  In order to safeguard the files stored there, while trying to resolve the Macrium issues, I tried straighforward copying of the files in question to a folder on the Seagate external HDD.  Most of those files are natural history videos either in .mp3 format or as .mkv files with associated .ac3 audio files.  All of the videos play correctly (in VLC media player) from the WD My Book external HDD.  Most of them do NOT play correctly when copied to a new location on the Seagate Backup Plus external HDD.  Some of them crash immediately, others after playing for a minute or two.  Generally the error reported is something like "incorrect file identifier".  Can anyone suggest what is going on here?

Most of the file transfers from the WD My Book to the Seagate Backup Plus were done in batches, a folder or group of folders at a time. I could try copying one file at a time?  There are about 300 videos and several tens of thousands of individual photographs.  MOST but not all of the photographs (as .jpg files, about 12 MB each) copied correctly.  Some copying errors were reported - but with one exception the failures reported were for files NOT included in the transfer I was trying to make.  Files from other folders that I had NOT tried to copy in that particular batch. I find that most confusing.  The error messages gave the name of the file that failed to copy.  I wrote the names down, skipped that file, and in the one case where the file named was part of the transfer, I found afterward that it was indeed missing from the copied folder. I was then able to copy the single file and paste it into the copied folder.  The other files whose names I wrote down were located in folders that were not part of that particular copy batch.

I am thinking that before I do any more fiddling around with Macrium I had better get WORKING copies of all those files into some other location besides the WD My Book.  I am wondering whether I should go out and buy a brand new external HDD of a reputable brand, and try transferring those files in small batches (one folder at a time?)???.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:10 PM

The big problem with WDs is they use a proprietary USB bridge card that effectively encrypts the drive. If that card fails you are out of luck because removing the drive from the enclosure and attaching to another computer either internally or using a USB adapter will not work. I always prefer to buy the bare drive and a separate enclosure.

https://community.wd.com/t/can-hw-encryption-be-completely-disabled-on-new-my-book-series/189925

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18358

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/wd-my-book-drives-and-encryption-automatically-enabled.2460318/

https://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwt13uDDZo

#11 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

OK, I am now thoroughly perplexed.  The videos that gave me trouble when directly copied from the WD My Book to the Seagate Backup Plus are in several different formats: .mp3, .avi, or .mkv, the last each with its accompanying .ac3 audio file.  The mkv+ac3 format videos, especially, often gave me "bad file descriptor" read errors when I tried to play them from the copied version on the Seagate drive.  That was especially the case when I played them using VLC Media Player, and especially when I tried to jump around from one part of the video to another.

A couple of days ago I found that if I restarted the computer, everything would play properly with VLC, but if I tried skipping around within a video while playing, I could often reproduce the "bad file descriptor" error.

Today I have spent about six hours trying to reproduce those errors - without success.  Every video I tried has played correctly from the Seagate drive, even when I tried skipping around.  These are the original first-pass copies, copied in large batches of multiple folders at one time, the identical same files that a couple of weeks ago drove me crazy with "bad file descriptor" read errors.  I have not, of course, tested every one of the 300 video files, but have "shopped around" widely among the different folders and formats, and tested every one of that selection at least to the extent of skipping to a half dozen or more different points in the video (most are of one hour duration).  Several of these were the same specific videos that had earlier produced "bad file descriptor" read errors either spontaneously or if I tried skipping around while playing.

I am gratified of course that now these video copies seem suddenly to have become usable, but I also feel uncertain because I don't understand what is going on.  I hate things I can't understand.  I'm hoping someone who understands this better than I do can explain it to me.

This is also, I think, no longer a Macrium issue, and maybe belongs as a new topic in a more appropriate context of audiovisual material?

My priorities here are first, to make sure I have reliably usable copies of all this material on at least one, but preferably more than one set of media apart from the possibly compromised WD drive, and second, after securing the material in that way, to go back and come to grips with using Macrium to construct a reliable backup program for this and other material - documents, photographs and videos - some of which is not yet computerized at all.

#12 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

Here's an example of what happens sometimes - I am hoping somebody will find an explanation (I hate things I don't understand).

After a day of mostly E-mail activity (reading many, replying to some) I decided to take a look at one particular .avi video (there was something in it I wanted to check).  I had intended to fire up the copy on the Seagate drive, but mistakenly started the original on the WD My Book drive.  It ran with no problems, but I exited from it after a few minutes.

Then I went to the copy of the same video, on the Seagate Backup Plus drive.  It started normally, but almost immediately it stopped with a "bad file descriptor" read error.

I rebooted the computer, and then tried again to play the same copy of the video, the one on the Seagate Backup Plus.  It played all the way through quite normally.

So what is getting out of whack here during normal computer use, that gets fixed by rebooting?  Or am I seeing this incorrectly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users