Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update popup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:00 AM

I just got a popup that said something like there is an update available, but we need your help... with options to snooze, restart now, or something else.

After I clicked on Restart now, nothing seemed to happen.

Then I wondered, was that legit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:12 AM

If you go to Settings..Updates....what is it saying or doing?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

There is a virus which uses this type of message  "There is a Recommended Update for this PC".

Are you seeing a image like the one below?

Attached File  browsing virus.PNG   87.39KB   0 downloads

The following is from the Malwaretips website.

This “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” pop-up ad is usually caused by adware installed on your computer. These adware programs are bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.

Once this malicious program is installed, whenever you will browse the Internet, an unwanted advertisement with the “There is a Recommended Update for this PC” message will pop-up. These ads are aimed to promote the installation of additional questionable content including web browser toolbars, optimization utilities and other products, all so the adware publisher can generate pay-per-click revenue.

This is Adware.  If this is what you are dealing with you will need to run two or three security programs to clean this out.   In order to run these scans your topic will need to be moved to the Am I Infected, What Do I Do? forum.

Let me know if this is what you are dealing with and I will request to have this topic moved and post the instructions to run the scans.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:33 AM

Yep, that sounds like the one, but I can't see the "image like the one below". I certainly don't recall downloading anything at all. I rarely use that computer, get regular Windows updates through the Settings...Updates method.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

I am going to post instructions to run security scans to look for adware.  These scans can not be run in the Windows forums, so I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected, What Do I Do? forum.

Before I post the instructions I would like to make you aware of the most common way to windup with PUPs being installed on your computer. 

Bundling third party software in free or paid software downloads has become a common practice.  Authors of the primary programs offered to be downloaded make extra revenue by allowing third party programs to be bundled in their product downloads.  There is a surprisingly large number of people who are not aware of this and will simply choose the Express installation option which will automatically install the author's software and all of the bundled third party software as well.  These PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) may include unwanted toolbars, software which can change your homepage, or change your default search engine, and Adware.

This can be avoided quite easily by using the Custom installation option.  This will take a little more time because you will need to read through the download information to see what the third party software is so that you can choose whether you want it or not.  A lot of these will have a box to select the software which will usually already have a check in the box.  These are easy to spot.  There is another way that these a presented, this is a written description of the software which initially looks like it is describing the author's software.  These usually will have the option to decline the installation.

Please run the scans suggested below in the order that they are requested, this is a must for RKill.  Post the logs generated by these scans in your topic in the order they were run.  Please do not wrap your logs in quotes or code brackets or use use spoilers.

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens click on Scan to start the scan.

ZQk62WV.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive a message informing you of this.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

CsqnoTW.png

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3.3.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will open and should be updated. You will see an image like the one below.

uNmVB2a.png

3)  Click/tap on Scan if the scan doesn't start on its own.

4)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  

PHDdWWQ.png

5)  Click/tap on Quarantine Selected.  Click/tap on View Report, copy and paste the report in your topic.

You need to reset your browser/s to their default settings.  This link will take you to instructions to reset the default settings in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:24 PM

Thanks. Malwarebytes bought Adw a while ago. There have been many negative reviews lately of Malwarebytes.
I'm staying away from it.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

The problem isn't with Malwarebytes, it is a problem Microsoft is scrambling to resolve.  Just run the scan and then uninstall Malwarebytes.

Edit:  Just for the record I have the Malwarebytes 3.2 installed on me Windows 10 Pro. computer and have not had any issues.

Edited by dc3, 07 February 2018 - 10:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users