Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System ran self-Chkdsk now various functions broken

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 philgrek

philgrek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

I came in to find my Windows 10 Home PC running a chkdsk that I didn't tell it to perform. Afterwards I have had various issues that are driving me crazy:

• Immediately my permissions were messed up despite me being the local Admin. I couldn't run anything directly as Admin unless I created a shortcut for it and ran the shortcut As Admin.
  • Secondarily, I started getting persistent errors regarding MSVCR120.dll being corrupt.
  • I cannot launch any app through Settings including System, Devices, Network, etc. However I can launch Settings, and I can get to those things through other means, but any time I try to launch them directly SystemSettings.exe crashes.
  • Several of my apps have begun to act erratically as well, and others reported corrupted files or folders.

I don't know if I should be looking at this as a disk issue or a virus issue or a Windows issue. Here's what has been done so far:

• I immediately ran a CHKDSK /R and it found absolutely zero wrong.
  • Any attempt to run SFC /scannow, even in Safe Mode, fails.
  • I've also run CrystalDiskInfo and checked the S.M.A.R.T report and both report absolutely nothing wrong.
  • A full scan by Windows Defender and MalwareBytes returned zero hits on both.
  • The last change to the system was an unknown installation of Windows Update KB4023057, but any attempt to uninstall prompts me for the corresponding .msi which I don't have and cannot find.
  • I have no restore points and reinstalling Windows is my preferred last resort.
  • I have tried to run DISM from the Windows 10 installation media but it fails with an error that the file or directory is corrupt or unreadable -- see attached DISM log.

I'm at a loss. Can anybody help?

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   346.22KB   5 downloads

Edited by philgrek, 04 February 2018 - 11:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Conder

Conder

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Have you tried command "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" on live system? If no, give it a try. Open elevated command prompt (run as administrator), and run command "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" first, then "sfc /scannow".

Edited by Conder, 05 February 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

Conder has given you excellent advice.  Try that first.

What Windows 10 Version and Build are you running?  If you hit the Windows Key and immediately type winver and hit enter you'll get a dialog box that tells you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 philgrek

philgrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

Condor and britechguy, 

Running DISM was the 7th bullet point on my list. Running DISM gives an error 1392 at exactly 4.5% each time. "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable"

There is a DISM log attached to my first post.

#5 philgrek

philgrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

My OS version is Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.850)

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

Well, the first thing I'd try (presuming you have a full system image backup of your existing system) is Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

You're a full feature release behind and doing the upgrade using the ISO may solve your problems since a great many of the OS files are replaced as part of the process and those might include the ones giving you problems.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users