I came in to find my Windows 10 Home PC running a chkdsk that I didn't tell it to perform. Afterwards I have had various issues that are driving me crazy:
- Immediately my permissions were messed up despite me being the local Admin. I couldn't run anything directly as Admin unless I created a shortcut for it and ran the shortcut As Admin.
- Secondarily, I started getting persistent errors regarding MSVCR120.dll being corrupt.
- I cannot launch any app through Settings including System, Devices, Network, etc. However I can launch Settings, and I can get to those things through other means, but any time I try to launch them directly SystemSettings.exe crashes.
- Several of my apps have begun to act erratically as well, and others reported corrupted files or folders.
I don't know if I should be looking at this as a disk issue or a virus issue or a Windows issue. Here's what has been done so far:
- I immediately ran a CHKDSK /R and it found absolutely zero wrong.
- Any attempt to run SFC /scannow, even in Safe Mode, fails.
- I've also run CrystalDiskInfo and checked the S.M.A.R.T report and both report absolutely nothing wrong.
- A full scan by Windows Defender and MalwareBytes returned zero hits on both.
- The last change to the system was an unknown installation of Windows Update KB4023057, but any attempt to uninstall prompts me for the corresponding .msi which I don't have and cannot find.
- I have no restore points and reinstalling Windows is my preferred last resort.
- I have tried to run DISM from the Windows 10 installation media but it fails with an error that the file or directory is corrupt or unreadable -- see attached DISM log.
I'm at a loss. Can anybody help?
Edited by philgrek, 04 February 2018 - 11:10 PM.