Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN News App Won't Show News Stories when opened

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pwcrickman

pwcrickman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

I have a brand new Lenovo Miix 320 system with Windows 10 Build 1607 installed.  It has one user with a Microsoft account.  The MSN News app updates the live tile periodically, but when I open the app the cursor spins, but the app does not display any news stories.  All other apps are working properly.  

I have tried reinstalling the app, but the symptoms are the same.  Are there any methods to reset the cache in the AppData folder?  

If I install the Creators Update will the app be replaced?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hello pwcrickman

Maybe try this...

Open the Start menu...

Remove the current installed MSN News app following one of these steps...
1. If the News Tile is pinned to the Start menu, right click the News tile and choose uninstall.
2. If the News app is not pinned to the start menu, scroll down the app list (left side of the Start menu) locate the News app, right click the entry and choose uninstall.

Once the uninstall is complete, reboot your system and perform one of the following steps...
1. Open the Windows Store app, in the search window enter msn news, left click the MSN News App in the list and install a fresh instance of the MSN News app
2. Follow:

I would recommend also installing the Fall Creators Update.

Hope this helps resolve your issue

Old Rocker

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

You should definitely get yourself updated to Version 1709.  I'd recommend this technique:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 pwcrickman

pwcrickman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

Old Rocker,

Reinstalling the app has not helped.  I am now running the Windows 10 Update Assistant (assuming this will install the Fall Creators Update).  Other than downloading the ISO file, is there any other method to finish this update faster?

#5 pwcrickman

pwcrickman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

I was able to successfully install the Fall Creators Update and the new MSN News app works as expected.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

Good to hear and glad your problem has been resolved.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users