Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 freezes when using Wifi (after automatic updates)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aokces

aokces

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Desktop specs: HP Windows 8.1

AMD A8-5600K APU with Raedon™ HD Graphics 3.6 GHz, 8gb of RAM

Antivirus: Windows Defender

Issue: This only happens when I'm using data over Wifi (using a browser, installing updates, running a game/app that uses internet). Within 30-60 seconds the computer slows down (at this point the Wifi icon usually shows that it's disconnects), then screen freezes, and mouse freezes as well. After a minute a cyan screen with blurry moving white lines with appear, then computer reboots after another minute. Same thing happens in safe mode. However, if I'm using an ethernet connection or on Wifi without using online resources, everything works fine. There was also ONE instance where I was able to use WiFi just fine (to my surprise), but that was a 1 in 30+ attempts. All other computer/laptops in my residence can use WiFi without issue.

Background: Issue started last month (Jan) after Windows updates downloaded and installed automatically. I did a system restore to a point before the install and everything worked fine again. However, the next night windows ran automatic updates again... and I was unable to do another system restore (when I tried to access the same restore point I get an error message). 

Things I've tried to no avail: MBAM scan, updating and reinstalling WiFi drivers. 

Would appreciate any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:24 PM

Firstly, disable fast startup. After disabling fast startup open an elevated command prompt  ( Windows key + X> command as admin) and type the following commands

powercfg.exe /h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot the computer. See if that helps. Also set your adapter to maximum power and disable, not uninstall, your Ethernet adapter in Device Manager.

What is the model number of the HP computer? Right click the Wifi adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and paste the first line into your next post.

Disable the ability of Windows 8.1 to update drivers.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#3 aokces

aokces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:22 PM

Adapter already set to max and Windows auto-update driver already disabled.

Fast startup disabled and then ran command prompt (which turned off PC)

Disabled ethernet, went online through wifi and same issue happened about a minute in.

Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wifi adapter hardware ID (1st line):

PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_539B&SUBSYS_18ED103C&REV_00

Model #: p7-1500z
Product #: C9D15AV#ABA

Thanks!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

I can't say this will improve the card but HP has a later driver for that chipset. Uninstall the current driver, reboot, and install the below driver. Create a restore point first.

5.0.50.0 Rev.B     Nov 4, 2014

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp69501-70000/sp69543.exe

If that does not work try changing the channel on the router. Check that both antenna wires are properly attached to the internal wifi card it that is what is used. Other than that consider a USB external with an antenna as this is a desktop.

Make sure it supports Windows 8.1. Some Examples. The version of the device matters to determine if 8.1 is supported

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN722N.html

http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WN722N.html#Driver

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5520_TL-WN822N.html

http://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-WN822N_V4.html#Driver

#5 aokces

aokces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Tried the new chipset driver but didn't make a difference. Changed router channel and reset it, which actually let me use WiFi for a good 15min before freezing, though this may have been another fluke, since afterwards it freezes after 1-2min again. Wire antennae (I only have one) is secure in the computer case. I'll try to see if connecting to a cell phone hotspot makes any difference compared to WiFi before opting for a new external WiFi driver/adapter. Thanks!

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

I'm thinking this might be a browser issue because I had a very similar problem about the same time. Has this happened with different browsers or do you use just one? If one which do you use?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

Another thing to check. How is browsing when you use Safe Mode with Networking. This could be a conflict with some startup process.

#8 aokces

aokces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:05 AM

I've tried safe mode with networking, same issue. And it happens when I use different browsers (Chrome by default, same issue with Firefox and IE), or when I don't use a browser at all, as long as I'm doing something that uses the internet.

Edited by aokces, 07 February 2018 - 02:05 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

I would recommend your next step is to get the Wifi adapter. You could boot a live linux disk and see if it can connect successfully. It would at least rule out a hardware problem it linux can connect wirelessly without a problem. It would run from RAM and off he DVD/USB flash drive. The HDD is not touched.

You would need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. It would also help if you disable Quick or Fast boot in UEFI. Mint 18.3 Cinnamon is a good distro coming from Windows. Download the iso and right click the iso file on any Windows 7 or higher computer. Select Burn Disk Image.

For a USB flash drive use Rufus. Select GPT for a partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. It may already show iso image. Click the icon and browse to the iso of Mint. Press Start. Any data on the USB will be wiped so back it up.

Boot the DVD/USB. Do not input anything until you are at the Mint Desktop. If the driver for the Wifi adapter is in the kernel it will automatically detect your Wifi network. Provide your Wifi password. Browse the internet and see how Wifi acts. 

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3457

Note: For a HP tap Esc at boot. At the menu select F9 for the boot menu. You should see something like Legacy boot. You can select this instead of disabling SecureBoot. Tapping the Esc key also gives you the option to do hardware diagnostics.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03801890

#10 aokces

aokces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

I'm awaiting a new wifi adapter in the mail. I did get a better look at the teal screen of death after it freezes, it mentioned something about a dpc watchdog violation, so I'm doing some more research into that, from what I read it seems to be driver-related.

#11 aokces

aokces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:22 AM

Got a simple new USB wifi adapter for under $20. Some generic brand but everything works fine now, can't argue with results. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users