Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots to black screen when graphics drivers installed.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hungryman52

hungryman52

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

Ok, so here's my problem, I get the feeling that I have somehow damaged my integrated GPU, but I can get the pc working as long as I have the display driver disabled.

My friend wanted me to try a new game with him which I would really like to list, as I am sure it was the culprit, but I have forgotten the name and I have to wait for my friend to be online again to find out.

So first I ran the game on my dedicated GPU, a crappy Geforce 9800GT, I played maybe 4 matches with him and then my pc froze completely had to do a hard restart. On my friends insistence I rejoined the match once i restarted my pc as he didn't want to lose, game froze again completely. Then when I started up my computer again there were vertical blue lines across my screen, but it still booted. I knew that I had just killed my GPU, and sure enough once I booted it crashed three times and then froze completely. It is now dead.

Like a complete retard I assumed that the card was just at the end of its life and had failed, so I then switched to my integrated graphics and started one game and about 1 min into the game it started stuttering like it was about to freeze and then it froze for about a second or two and I immediately turned the game off. This was on my xps 8300 which is the intel sandybridge series. I found the drivers on the official DELL website. They were working before this incident as I used them for a while because I didn't have a cable for my monitor to connect to my GPU. I can confirm that they were working with these drivers and I had no issues.

Later that night I restarted my computer to install updates and it booted up to the splash screen and then just showed a black screen. I was unsure what the issue was, and after several restarts and startup repair not finding any issues, I performed a clean install of windows. I then proceeded to install all my drivers again and when I got to the graphics driver, it asked me to restart. I did so and it booted to black screen once more.

I started in Safe mode, disabled graphics drivers. Here I am. Is it possible that I killed my integrated graphics? If so, how is it that I can see anything on my monitor?

Dxdiag is attached. I know it doesn't list the drivers, but I can leave a link to the download location. It unfortunately does not show the name.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=FHM51

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2018 - 06:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

Just a small bit of extra info. the game was called "heroes of the storm".

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5wcdb4Sp0qqs0X4KFhpiNwd

Big fan of piriform. Thanks for this lil bit of software. I like the way it shows my temps too. heres the info though.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5wcdb4Sp0qqs0X4KFhpiNwd

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

How did you find and install your GeForce 9800 driver?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

I just googled Geforce 9800GT Driver Download. https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/73218 That card is definitely damaged though, like I said it boots up with blue lines across the screen through the whole boot process. Then it crashes when on the desktop.

The screen goes black and turns off then turns on again and then a little error message pops up in the tray saying that an error has occurred and the graphics driver has crashed and to click for more details, or something like that. Then it eventually just crashes completely and I have to do a hard reset.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

What happens if you are using the GPU in Safe Mode.

For future reference the GPU is the GeForce 9800 and the Intel is the integrated graphics on the motherboard.

Please be specific when referring to either of these as this can get confusing otherwise.

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#8 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

sorry. I was not aware, thank you for clearing that up for me. As I said the GPU has blue lines through the screen even when I am booting, so when I am in the safe mode, normal mode, repair mode startup screen, there is already blue lines through the screen, also on the splash screen. They are always in the same place. I will however attempt to start up in safe mode with the GPU though.

I actually just re-read my posting, I never referred to my on board graphics as my GPU. I called it my integrated graphics. I can see where you may have been confused.

"They were working before this incident as I used them for a while because I didn't have a cable for my monitor to connect to my GPU."

What I was saying was that the integrated graphics were working with the drivers I had installed. I know this because I had to use them before as I did not have the correct VGA cable to connect my GPU to my screen, so I was forced to use my onboard graphics.

I feel as though this question has been misunderstood at this point, so I am going to rephrase it. I am really sorry for my grammar, I know it isn't easy.

So my GPU is toast, I think I may have also fried my integrated graphics, but I don't see how that is possible as I am currently using the computer and it is showing a display and I am able to use it normally.

The problem is, when I install the integrated graphics drivers, the computer boots up, but once it gets past the splash screen. It just shows a black screen with nothing on it (in place of the Welcome screen/Desktop) and all the fans on the case slow down. As though the computer has gone into sleep mode. I can only get out of this with a hard restart.

The only way my computer launches again is when I start in safe mode and disable the integrated graphics drivers.

I have tried start up repair, I have tried a clean install of windows, (multiple times because it took me a while to realize it was the integrated graphics drivers causing the issue) and I have tried using my windows cd to run a repair also.

Thank you for your time by the way dc3. I am now going to hook up my GPU and see if I can get it running in safe mode, but I am pretty positive that it is completely dead, as I said, even before the computer boots to the welcome screen it shows verticle blue lines throughout the whole boot process, which, in my limited knowledge shows that it is a hardware issue and not a software issue.

#9 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

ok so after waiting for an hour to install windows updates. I started up my computer with the GPU connected and I forgot to start up in safe mode, it started up and then went to a black screen after the splash screen like the integrated graphics do. This was not happening before. I wonder if maybe something else is going that is causing my graphics drivers to fail.

Anyway I then started in safe mode, I would like to add the blue lines were across the screen throughout all of this (except when the screen went black), also the blue lines would cross any applications or windows I opened, but not the start menu or any of the desktop icons. Don't know if that is normal or not.

Thats pretty much all I have to report about that.

#10 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Ok so I have done some browsing and I discovered this

https://hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/

Considering my GPU is toast anyway, I figured I may as well toast it myself, see if it is micro fractures in the solder joints. Anyway wish me luck.

#11 hungryman52

hungryman52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

Well, my GPU is now working again.... Baking worked, I baked it at 385f for 8 minutes (I pulled it out 10 seconds before the 8 minutes was up). I am now running the dedicated graphics with no issues. It is actually running quieter now as I cleaned out alot of dust and replaced the thermal gel with some super overclocking gel. Not that that really helps it to stay that much cooler when the fan on the things is the size of my pinky, but anyway.....

I guess I have somewhat resolved my issue. To anybody with a fried GPU that does not work, don't just throw it away, try putting it in the oven first. What do you have to lose?

I would like to note, I tried this before with my PS3 a couple of years ago, but I did it in a gas oven with no regulator and a little thermometer. It literally exploded. So make sure it is an electric oven that regulates well. Infact, if you do want to try it. I refer you here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/holy-crap-it-worked-dead-video-card-resurrected.1421792/

Far more detailed instructions, I copied this exactly, I also had my GPU with the chip facing down and I also used the little balls of foil and a baking tray. I actually put my tray on the second to top rung on bake not broil as I believe broil has the heat coming from the top. (not that the tutorial tells you otherwise).

Anyway, I am still having problems with my integrated graphics which is a pain in the ass, but the computer did at least work with the integrated graphics card as long as the drivers were uninstalled/disabled, so I will at the very least have a working computer, if and when this GPU completely dies, and I plan on an upgrade soon. I think we can call this thread closed, but if you would like to help me resolve the issue for others, I am happy to oblige and continue to try troubleshooting solutions until we find the route of the problem.

I am also happy to bring this post to a close if you want to close it and mark it as resolved.       

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

Glad you resolved it and posted your solution.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

I'm glad to hear that reflowing the solder worked.  These boards are wave soldered which is usually a very effective, but every now and then one spot can get missed.  This just goes to show that troubleshooting can sometimes be misleading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users