Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Trackpad problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

My sons laptop is having problems with it's track pad in that the left/right buttons don't work and although the pad will move the pointer around the screen you can't access anything.

I've had to get him a wireless mouse to do anything and uninstalled the pad drivers/ reinstalled them all to no avail.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

Short of reoving the case top cover and checking the connections between the track pad and the mainboard, it sounds like the switches have failed.  I hate the track pads, they get dirt under the edges and stop the cursor from any movement.  I disable them and use a mouse instead.

#3 pasha19

pasha19

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

The trackpad on my Asus F555U entered strange modes under windows 10 enlarging and dragging when not desired.  It was also too easy to touch with my palms and thumbs when typing too large and close to the keyboard in my opinion.  So I too went with a mouse and disabled the trackpad.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:59 PM

Assuming this computer is out of warranty are you willing to start taking it to pieces ?  Of course if it is still in warranty take it back to your supplier.

Without knowing the model of this laptop it is impossible to say how complex an operation replacing the trackpad would be - it can vary hugely. But as a first step download the manual, and the servicing manual if you can get it, from the ASUS web-site and then search YouTube for 'Asus make and model + replace trackpad'. This information will enable you to decide if you want to do this yourself.

If you don't feel like doing this then, as has already been suggested, disable the trackpad and use a mouse.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:57 AM

Thanks all for advice. I may leave as is as the son seems to be quiet happy just using the mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users