Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports in New PC Build?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

I might be getting a new Windows 10 desktop PC soon and considering the USB ports:

1) How many USB ports should I expect for a computer?

I usually have these devices plugged in to the back USB ports:

• Mouse
  • Keyboard
  • Printer
  • Joystick (for some games)
  • Speakers (USB powered)

I also temporary plug in these devices to my front USB ports:

• Flash drive
  • External HDD
  • Camera

2) How many USB 3 vs USB 2 ports should I get?  I understand that only the items above in the second list would really benefit from the extra USB 3 speeds.

3) Do many motherboards still support PS/2, so I could utilise an older PS/2 mouse/keyboard and free up a USB port for something else?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

6 USB ports or more will do, dont worry about the amount of USB2 and 3 ports.

Though at the very least you should have 4 USB3 ports, plus the ports on the case (2 to 4)

PS/2 is still around on some motherboards, its getting less common but it still remains popular for those who are hardcore about it.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:44 AM

My old Compaq desktop from 2005 has 6 'native' USB 2.0 ports; 4 at the back, and 2 at the front. I've added USB 3.0 functionality via a PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card (2 ports). I have a Belkin PCI USB 2.0 'add-in' card (4 ports), plus an Advance self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 'hub (which sits on the very front of the tower, at the top, facing forwards).

Total? 18 usable ports ( 1 being 'out-of-commission', if you like,'cause it has the USB hub plugged into it).. And most of them get used at some stage.

The only things that really benefit from the higher transfer speeds, IMO, are data storage devices; external hard drives, and some flash drives. Cameras, mm; it's debatable, that one.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 February 2018 - 06:48 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

It is fairly easy to add extras check this post:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669903/6-usb-in-back-plus-2-in-front-is-what-i-like-on-a-desktop/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for your replies.

Why do manufacturers still use USB 2 ports alongside USB 3 ports?  Why not make all ports USB 3 only if USB 3 is the new standard going forward and is backward compatible?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Probably cost-cutting as they probably have plenty of USB 2.0 connectors laying around plus there are still USB 2.0 internal headers to deal with

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users