Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu-ray or DVD Burner in New PC Build?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

I might be getting a new Windows 10 desktop PC soon and considering what to get for the internal optical drive.

A couple of benefits of the blu-ray drive:

1) Ability to burn data discs with a high capacity (25gb or 50gb).  Perhaps would be nice for backup/archival to complement flash drives/external HDDs.

2) Ability to play blu-ray films (movies).  Is it easy to play blu-ray discs on a PC?  At present I don't own any blu-ray discs, so I believe the first benefit is most appealing to me.

Is it best to stick to just a DVD drive or have a blu-ray drive?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

You've pretty much accurately summed up the pertinent considerations.

A Blu-Ray drive can, of course, play DVDs and CDs as well.

For myself, I simply cannot ever envision the day where I would willingly elect to try to do any sort of significant backup to optical media.  It's slow and the media becomes trash pretty much as soon as you do your next full system image backup.

I still look specifically for machines that have an optical drive, though, as I am still collecting and ripping CDs, many from thrift shops that are old material that I don't have, and that will continue for quite a while.  I can't see much of an advantage of Blu-Ray on the monitor/screen of most computers but, if you're someone who owns Blu-Ray and wants to be able to watch on the go that would be reason enough to go that route.  I only have DVD at the moment and haven't bothered with Blu-Ray at home because I don't have a UHD TV and there's not much advantage to Blu-Ray on HD over DVD on HD.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

I'm with britechguy, I don't see much point in burning to optical media.  The only thing that really makes any sense is pictures, since they aren't going to change.  Even then there have been issues with how long optical disks hold information.

As far as watching.  Like DVDs you'll need software to play Bluray disks.  Bluray incorporates HDCP.  With HDCP if anything in the chain is not HDCP compliant you may have anything from nothing to degraded play back.  I mention this, not to ward you off, only to inform you.

Play back experience can vary widely.  I copy all of my disks to hard drive and play them with PowerDVD.  If you're going to purchase PowerDVD, they release new versions in April, so you may want to wait.  Some disks require you use an on screen control, other work just like DVDs where you click the menu items you want.  The advanced features that you would get on a dedicated Bluray player aren't as easily accessed.  For just watching a PC works fine.

Unless you have a real need for an optical drive you might want to just wait until you need one and purchase a USB 3 external.  Other than movies there is no real need for an optical drive these days.

#4 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for your replies.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

For me I wouldn't even bother with Blu-ray as you can get similar quality if you do services like Google Play or Amazon these days physical media is a dying art sure you don't actually own digital media but you technically don't own Blu-ray either

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users