Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe to buy used 4K monitor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:02 PM

is it safe to buy used 4K monitor, described as like new?  do pixels go bad over time, or would bad pixels show up when u first get it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavidLMO

DavidLMO

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Not sure on first part - how old?  Is it a good price?  I recently picked up an HP 8000 Elite Small FF for $105 and a 19 inch HP 1955 monitor for $20.  So far I am elated.  Pixels can go bad over time but I have only had a couple of problems over the past 30 years on very old CRT based monitors.  I would guess that bad pixels could show up when you first install it. :-)

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

Not sure on first part - how old?  Is it a good price?  I recently picked up an HP 8000 Elite Small FF for $105 and a 19 inch HP 1955 monitor for $20.  So far I am elated.  Pixels can go bad over time but I have only had a couple of problems over the past 30 years on very old CRT based monitors.  I would guess that bad pixels could show up when you first install it. :-)

Amazon is selling this 1, Like New:

LG Electronics 27MU58P-B 27" diagonal Ultra HD 4K Monitor

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

It's not really a problem, TBH. Think about it; any time you buy a second-hand laptop, you're getting a 'used' screen. It's the same with the hoo-hah about using 'second-hand' tyres (all the fuss about the safety aspect, y'know?) What d'you get when you buy a used automobile?

Second-hand tyres! (And how many people do you know that immediately drive a newly-purchased second-hand vehicle round to the local tyre depot, and straight-away have new tyres fitted all round?)

Not many.

Modern electronics are pretty reliable these days. I'm using an old Dell 1024x768 monitor, donated to me by my brother 4 years ago, when he treated himself to a top-of-the-range iMac. It was already 7 or 8 years old then. Doesn't have a thing wrong with it.....and still gives a lovely sharp, clear image. It'll do me for a while yet, unless anything major goes wrong with it.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 February 2018 - 06:37 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users