Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mamerala

mamerala

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

Sorry if this is wrong place to post im not sure where.

i would like to do disk cleanup if possible with more detailed way, now i see more than 7 GB temp files after disk clean up check, but im not sure if these temp files something important or no as i do leave temp files of some programs which i may use later, so if there's a way to know which temp files are they so i can delete what is not important would be better than just cleaning it all and lose something i need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

Down load "Ccleaner" in the down load section of this site, it does a much better job.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

i have it already but never tried it for temp files thats why i thought about asking first, good thing it gives details now i can check what to delete and whats taking that much space 

#5 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

just question is it safe to delete anything or is there some files i should exclude? i dont recognize some so i dont want to delete something important 

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

Leave it at its basic settings all will be fine, I have and many others have been using it for a very long time. Like previously mentioned don't mess with the "Registry" I know several have and have not had problems but it is better left alone.

Edited by OldPhil, 04 February 2018 - 02:13 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

As my directions stated....use the default settings. That 's the settings that CCleaner has when you first open it. Just open CCleaner

and click on Run CCleaner in the bottom right of the page.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

just wanted to make sure before cleaning, i've done it and freed a lot of space.

thank you :) 

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

You're welcome....CCleaner has some valuable tools besides just cleaning. Explore them. For instance, check out what

is in Windows Startups and Tasks on your computer. If you have System Restore enabled...which you should...then you likely

have many restore points that can be removed. CCleaner will remove all but the last one.

Edited by buddy215, 04 February 2018 - 03:17 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,789 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

You're welcome....CCleaner has some valuable tools besides just cleaning. Explore them. For instance, check out what

is in Windows Startups and Tasks on your computer. If you have System Restore enabled...which you should...then you likely

have many restore points that can be removed. CCleaner will remove all but the last one.

A contrarian's position here:   Restore points do not take up much space at all, relatively speaking, and I've had way more than one occasion where the most recent one won't work but one of the restore points one or more further back in time behind it will.  Unless you're desperate for space if you're using System Restore it's best to have a couple of older restore points in your back pocket, particularly since these do not change anything but the operating system.  Any user files you've created are untouched by a System Restore.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

i used to clean just browsers and small stuff, but i will check rest 

A contrarian's position here:   Restore points do not take up much space at all, relatively speaking, and I've had way more than one occasion where the most recent one won't work but one of the restore points one or more further back in time behind it will.  Unless you're desperate for space if you're using System Restore it's best to have a couple of older restore points in your back pocket, particularly since these do not change anything but the operating system.  Any user files you've created are untouched by a System Restore.

yes i do prefer keeping restore points just in case.

i have other programs and games temp files which are a lot more huge but i dont wish to delete all of them, but cleaning more than 7 GB today was really great i had almost 2 GB free in C now i have more than 10 GB. i was just scared at first to try deleting temp files so i wont delete anything important.

Edited by mamerala, 04 February 2018 - 05:06 PM.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

In order to defragment a drive successfully it is best that 15% to 20% to be free space.

#13 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

In order to defragment a drive successfully it is best that 15% to 20% to be free space.

yes i understand but its almost impossible to free anything else some of games and programs files went to C although i downloaded on D so i cant delete. 10 GB free out of 48 is now better i was running on 2-3 GB free for weeks as i didnt have time to check for solution.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

Then you are okay with free space.   .15 x 48 = 7.2 GB  of free space needed to defrag... 

#15 mamerala

mamerala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Then you are okay with free space.   .15 x 48 = 7.2 GB  of free space needed to defrag... 

great, thank you again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users