Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing Brother MFC-J470DW without disc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

printer: Brother MFC-J470DW

computers: win 7 hp x64 and win 10 pro x64

Neither of these computers have been connected to this printer in the past. I am currently on a contract job out of town and staying in a motel. I have no access to the printer installation disc.

Neither computer will print a test page or simple text file. A nondescript error message shows in "see what's printing" window on both computers. However, a test page and various reports can be printed directly from the printer.

Here is what I have attempted on both computers thus far. Installed the proper (according to Windows) driver using the Windows driver update/install method. Both full software packages and minimal packages have been downloaded from Brother's website. Neither will complete installation on either computer by either the USB to printer cable, motel wifi, travel router connection to motel wifi, with Windows Homegroup, or without Windows Homegroup. On some attempts I get an error that indicates a corrupt file.

Short of getting results in the forum, the only other solution I can think of is to call Brother tommorow for assistance. Because the printer is three years old, I really can't imagine obtaining a new installation disc from the manufacturer.

any suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

The only thing I can imagine is the downloads are getting corrupted as the disk will have the same software as what was downloaded.  Did these computer's have a lexmark printer attached before the Canon? Can you install the driver package in safe mode?

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

corrupt file.

Perhaps the Internet there sucks and you are getting bad downloads, try it somewhere else and put it on a USB.  Or go to local shop and ask if they have a DVD.  Unfortunately many of these go to the dump, or are never used.  Maybe even the local retailer will have one laying around, is there one close?

Did you connect the Printer to the same Network that the pc is connected to?

Get a Print Report in case you need to enter the IP Address.

PG 34 On HTML PDF, 28 On Actual PDF

Maybe an Antivirus is not allowing it to install?

What do you see in Printers and Scanners?

You may need to remove the old printer and Reboot.  You may need to do this with your Failed Attempts also.

If you clear old printers from Windows 10 and Reboot, you may be able to install using the Add Printer Feature and choose the appropriate Printer Model from the list presented to you.  This method don't require the Brother Software.  That is a very common printer so you should be able to find something that will help you.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

JohnC_21,

Corrupt file is my best guess. The win7 machine has had all previously installed printers removed using the manufacturer's uninstaller. The win10 machine is a custom build less than a month old. It has never had a printer installed on it. I have not attempted installing in safe mode.

pcpunk,

You may be correct, but experience here has been good. I have installed and configured two virtual machines on the win10 machine without problems since I have been here. Exploring local retailers and independent shops has not been done yet.

Did you connect the Printer to the same Network that the pc is connected to?

yes

Get a Print Report in case you need to enter the IP Address.

I have the IP addresses, default gateway, and other information for all machines involved. Thanks for the reference to the link. I'll check it out.

no antivirus problems ... Printers and Scanners on both machines show the printer, which is set as default. No other printers are found on either machine.

You may need to remove the old printer and Reboot.  You may need to do this with your Failed Attempts also.

I have done this on each unsuccessful attempt.

install using the Add Printer Feature

I have been unsuccessful in every attempt using this method.

All fingers seem to point to a corrupt installation file from the Brother download page. I'll try again. This is a different day. Maybe the results will differ.

Thanks again.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

I know you said you “Installed the proper (according to Windows) driver using the Windows driver update/install method. Both full software packages and minimal packages have been downloaded from Brother's website

Maybe this will help. Uninstall whatever isn’t working and start over especially since you have the same problem on 2 computers.

I don’t know if Brother does this but for HP & Dell printers I go to their support sites. Have the printer that isn't custom built connected by USB. Use Brother's “identify my product” system. Use their instructions to download and install their drivers & software without relying on Windows. Once the printer is working ok, then switch to wireless and verify it works properly. If that doesn’t work, it’s time to call Brother especially if there is a possibility of a corrupted file being reported.

​--- When you get an error message, can you post what the error message is?

--- I suppose you could set up the printer to be shared but I would consider repeating the install process on the 2nd computer. You never know if you’ll always have both computers with you. 

Edited by cmptrgy, 04 February 2018 - 02:15 PM.

#6 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

cmptrgy,

Thanks for the reply.

I began with the "non-custom" machine and did not move to the custom one until all attempts local to the "non-custom" had been attempted. After my first attempt failed, I completely removed everything that had been added in any way to start with a clean slate. Then I began on the second machine to check whether or not the problems were machine dependent. Likewise, I attempted each individual method wired, via motel wifi, and via travel router connected to motel wifi. After each failed attempt, I wiped the slate clean before a subsequent attempt.

If I encounter another error, I will capture it for posting. Brother phone support is open 9AM-9PM EST Mon-Fri. I will call them when possible if I cannot resolve the issue before then.

I would consider repeating the install process on the 2nd computer.

I fully intend to do so.

...go to their support sites... Use Brother's “identify my product” system. Use their instructions to download and install their drivers & software without relying on Windows...

I have done so.

Duty calls right now. I will make one more attempt using the Brother download site and USB before tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for your answer. I went back and saw "see what's printing" in your opening post.

​Have you looked into the printing queue?

​I don't recall the exact wording but is/are document(s) pending?

​Is your printer offline instead of online?

#8 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

In reverse order, the printer is not offline. On each unsuccessful attempt the document is visible in the queue with "error..." in the next column. No description is included. I have canceled the document after each attempt. Double checking with ClearPrintQueue.exe confirms that nothing is stuck in queue.

The preceding applies to both computers.

EDIT: Thanks for returning to the OP to check for details.

Edited by fueledbydrprper, 04 February 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

Try Control, Trouble shooting, Hardware and Sound, Use a Printer.

--- I wonder if it would show the error code.

If that doesn't help would you consider only the minimal packages and see how it turns out? 

#10 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

EUREKA!

pcpunk,

Please forgive the delay in getting back to you. After all the replies I made and interruptions from following up on your post, I have resolved the situation. The link you provided was a jumping off point.

Here is a summary of what it took to resolve the problem. To give all the exact steps I will have to retrace my steps with a pen and paper in hand.

***NOTE: This was all accomplished with the drivers supplied by Windows. No factory downloads were used.***

• The WLAN report gave error code TS-05 -- SSID/network key is incorrect. Accessing the travel router, I verified settings and entered them in the printer's LCD.
  • I attempted to connect to the travel router from the printer and  received an error code TS-07 -- "The machine cannot detect a WLAN access point/router that has WPS or AOSS enabled."
  • ...back to the travel router... I found the place to add a device and discovered that I had to retrieve the printer network key.
  • ...back to the printer... navigate: menu>network>WLAN>WPS w/ PIN code. When "network I/F switched to wireless" was displayed, press OK. The LCD gave an 8 digit PIN.
  • ...back to the router... I had to add a new device with the PIN I retrieved from the printer and click start connection. Then return to the printer and navigate to the WPS connection and start the connection process.
  • Once the connection was completed, both test pages and simple text documents print as expected.

Thanks ever so much for providing a launching place for me.

Please consider this post solved!

EDIT: How do mark this as solved?

Edited by fueledbydrprper, 05 February 2018 - 12:18 AM.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

I seldom will use a mfgr provided disk.  I let the OS search for the drivers needed as this eliminates the bloatware that comes with the disks.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

@fueledbydrprper, Good for you brother, I'll keep that in mind next time I have similar problems.  I always print the Network Print Status as it has the Printer IP among other things that are very useful.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:48 PM

@fueledbydrprper, Excellent, thanks a lot for your letting us know your solution.

#14 fueledbydrprper

fueledbydrprper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

You are quite welcome. Thanks for staying involved in the topic with suggestions and answers.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,483 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

The link you provided was a jumping off point.

Thanks ever so much for providing a launching place for me.

Please consider this post solved!

EDIT: How do mark this as solved?

That's good, because that's what I was doing, just trying to get some ideas for you to try.  You did a good job getting it sorted.

You don't need to mark as Solved on this Forum.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users