Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powerline networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:04 AM

I'm thinking of buying a powerline networking device. Does anyone know if they have to be on the same ring main.

Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

OK, USA user here, and "Ring Main" isn't a familiar term, but maybe I can answer anyway. 

As always, the answer is "It Depends".

There is a lot of variety in Powerline network devices, but in general they don't like working through transformers, which means they need to be on the same phase (same main circuit breaker pole) if at all possible. There are specialized bridging capacitors used with commercial level power line systems that connect between phases to give the signal a path, but installing these is a job for an electrician (or maybe Fireman and EMS...) That said, I have had them work across phases, it just depends on sensitivity and range. In the case where they did work we found that turning on certain devices, an air conditioner for example, would sometimes cause the signal to drop. 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

A quick Google took me to a TPLink quick install guide where it says 'On the same electrical circuit' - text at top tight of page 1 here -

http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WPA4230PKIT(EU_V1_QIG.pdf

This suggests to me that they do need to be on the same ring main. They might work across two rings but this is obviously not guarranteed. Just a side point, I hope none of your neighbours are radio hams, I have seen reports that these devices can cause nasty interference in some of the amateur radio bands.

(For our American readers. In UK terminology a ring main is an electrical distribution circuit controlled by a single circuit breaker or a single fuse. In my house there are at least two ring mains for power distribution to the ordinary wall sockets with separate directly protected circuits for high current devices such as an electric cooker and a shower.)

Chris Cosgrove

#4 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:58 PM

I have had good luck with these.  Get them from a seller that accepts returns hassle free and try them out.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PL1200.aspx

For the UK, you probably need to shop these models.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/258-3864018-4098951?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=netgear+powerline

Edited by zzz00m, 12 February 2018 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users