Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 15-ay075nr keyboard removal

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 cboisits

cboisits

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:45 AM

Hello. I am the technically savvy person in the family and every computer problem comes to me. Everyone else is technically crippled. The problem of the week that I am faced with has to do with cleaning underneath the keyboard of an HP 15-ay075nr laptop. My niece spilled maple syrup on the keyboard. Yes,...maple syrup.  She has no respect for technology. I do not know how to remove this keyboard. I've looked up many youtube videos but none of them had this style of keyboard. It appears that I might have to remove the whole top of the laptop in addition to taking out some screws on the bottom. Does ANYONE have any idea how to remove the keyboard of an HP 15-ay075nr? I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out on this one. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

-Chris

Edited by britechguy, 04 February 2018 - 01:44 PM.
Moved to Internal Hardware since virtually anything in a laptop is considered Internal Hardware - it's inside the case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

This may help:

Read the Instruction below the Video.

https://www.laptopkeyboard.com/installation-guides/hp/pavilion/15-ay075nr/

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

Havachat, I believe that is a generic video for keyboard replacement. When I looked at the service manual, which wasn't very helpful it seems the keyboard is integrated with the top cover/palm rest touchpad. This is starting to be common on the newer laptops. Another reason I will never buy a new laptop with these integrated keyboards. 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748

Similar to the below. The service manual gives multiple numbers depending on the color.

As you can see getting a new keyboard replaced by a shop would be over $100 not including labor. All the ones on Ebay are used.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=KEYBOARD+855027-001&_sacat=0

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2018 - 10:43 AM.

#4 cboisits

cboisits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

Ah hah! You answered my question John. Thanks for your help too Hava! But now I see that the whole top needs to come off. I don't plan to buy a new keyboard. I'm going to clean it myself. It's not like the whole keyboard was dipped in maple syrup. I think what she did was....she dipped her waffle in the syrup and when she took a bite, her mouth was positioned above the keyboard and some syrup dripped down. Now it's important to note that all this happened after she told her sister to leggo my eggo. Now my question is....which screws do I unscrew? Or should I just unscrew them all?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I looked at the manual again.

The top cover/keyboard spare part remains after all other spare parts have been removed

It looks like the computer has to be completely torn down to access the top cover. You cannot simply remove the top cover. Everything needs to be removed including the motherboard and heatsink fan which would require you to reapply thermal paste after cleaning off the old. 

See this thread where a moderator had the same problem.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669468/laptop-with-non-replaceable-keyboard-this-is-a-first/?hl=%2Bkeyboard#entry4436840

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

This machine could also, potentially, be like the Toshiba C55T-5300 I just tried to replace the keyboard in.  The keyboard may be "fused" to the case with a metal support plate that has plastic support pins "mushroom melted" to hold that plate into place.

One thing I can assure you is that you will need to remove all the screws from the underside of the computer then, after having done so, gently pry up on the keyboard surface cover of the laptop from one of the corners (I prefer getting under right next to the hinge, but not using the hinge itself as the fulcrum for your pry lever) and working your way around.

Some island style keyboards are held on to the cover by screws.  Others, like in the above mentioned Toshiba, are not.  I can't find a Maintenance and Service Guide specific to the model you're working with at the HP support site.  That's a pity, as they're often available and give excellent step-by-step instructions, including illustrations, for doing virtually any maintenance task you can think of.

You may not need to remove the motherboard, etc., depending on just how things are set up inside the case.  I hadn't seen that John had linked directly to my tale of woe.  It had a good outcome, however, in that I managed to figure out how to effect a repair on the spacebar that worked and didn't end up needing to replace the entire keyboard.  Given the way yours has been compromised you're not so lucky.

If it turns out that the keyboard is not removable I would suggest that you give the whole thing a warm and thorough shower after you have it free of the machine to dissolve all of the syrup residue and allow it to dry for several days before reassembling.  The syrup is very unlikely to have caused any damage beyond gumming up the works, and if you get rid of the syrup and let things dry that "gum" is gone and most likely things will work fine.   People think I'm crazy when I suggest this, but when I worked in a computer lab during my college days it was routine to give the keyboards a shower after people did things like spilling a soda into them.  More than 9 times out of 10 they'd work just fine again provided they were allowed to get thoroughly dry before being reconnected.

Edited by britechguy, 04 February 2018 - 01:33 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

Oh, dear, I think the news is likely bad.  I own two HP 15-ba000 series models in my household and the keyboard arrangement on these appears to be identical to what is used on yours.   Here is the 15-ba000 Service & Maintenance Guide.  You'll see as you get to the major parts section that the upper keyboard and mouse surface is an integrated unit.

I would still consider at least trying the "warm bath and thorough dry" route before shelling out for a replacement unit.  This particular design decision, particularly in regard to a laptop keyboard, is insane.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 cboisits

cboisits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Holy sh*t! I knew that this wasn't going to be easy but this is nuts. Thermal paste? I never even heard of thermal paste. I have no intentions of buying a new keyboard. I'm going to venture to do this myself. Wish me luck. If anyone lives in the Bergen County and wants $ to do this, let me know. Thanks for all your help guys.

-Christian

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

Even if you do not buy a new keyboard if you remove the heatsink to access the keyboard by itself you will need to reapply thermal paste to the heatsink. It cannot be reused.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

Indeed, thermal paste cannot be reused.

Also, in looking at the service manual for my laptop, which has the same keyboard/top cover unit as the one under discussion, the first line in the "Removal and Replacement" section for the Top Cover/Keyboard reads:

The top cover/keyboard spare part remains after all other spare parts have been removed.

It is also considered to be a single spare part.  Design for automated assembly wins out again over any consideration of maintenance, even reasonably common maintenance.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

First and foremost; is the only problem with the keyboard that several keys are now very sticky or gummy? Boot the PC, open Wordpad or Notepad, test the keyboard thoroughly and, if the only problem is some sticky keys, it may be repairable.  If you get other, unsticky keys that also don't work, the keyboard suffered other damage and you'll need the whole top/keyboard assembly.

If you are pretty sure the keyboards electronics are OK, use the manual JohnC put in his first post, take the whole thing apart, and, quite literally, put the entire top assembly in a pan of lukewarm water.  Let it soak for 15-30 minutes and then rinse the holy heck out of it (again, with water), paying special attention to the area with syrup.  Wrap it in a towel and bang it against a pillow several times to get most of the water out then hang it up to dry for at least 24 hours (I like to hang things in front of a box fan).

Put it back together and pray.....

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

First and foremost; is the only problem with the keyboard that several keys are now very sticky or gummy? Boot the PC, open Wordpad or Notepad, test the keyboard thoroughly and, if the only problem is some sticky keys, it may be repairable.  If you get other, unsticky keys that also don't work, the keyboard suffered other damage and you'll need the whole top/keyboard assembly.

If you are pretty sure the keyboards electronics are OK, use the manual JohnC put in his first post, take the whole thing apart, and, quite literally, put the entire top assembly in a pan of lukewarm water.  Let it soak for 15-30 minutes and then rinse the holy heck out of it (again, with water), paying special attention to the area with syrup.  Wrap it in a towel and bang it against a pillow several times to get most of the water out then hang it up to dry for at least 24 hours (I like to hang things in front of a box fan).

Put it back together and pray.....

It's generally pretty difficult to screw up the actual electronics in a reasonably new keyboard, be it in a laptop or standalone.

I am glad that someone else has been down the shower/soak route before, as with keyboards that have suffered spills this very often makes everything just fine again.  Even though I certainly wouldn't recommend it, I've had to do the same sort of thing with PDAs and Smartphones that have somehow gotten a dunk.  If you allow them to dry out, thoroughly dry out, before trying to fire them up again even those will generally come back to life.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 cboisits

cboisits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:43 AM

Indeed, this is a case where only a few keys are sticky so a new keyboard isn't necessary. Ok,.....I'm gonna do it. But before I do, can anyone list step by step instructions?

1. Remove all screws

2. Prey off top cover

#14 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

As I said, JohnC posted a link to your service manual which has the step-by-step disassembly and reassembly instructions.  Save the PDF someplace (I use Save As and name it for the model) and use it for how to do what you want:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

cboisits, I would like to add, without deterring you from attempting this, this is going to be difficult.  If you are mechanically inclined you should be okay.  You will need to take pictures along the way and seperate everything into labeled containers.  This is going to require a total teardown, so be prepared to attack this with a positive attitude and except that you may fail also.  You will need to get some Thermal Paste, I think.  There may be a way to do it without I can't say for sure as I've never taken apart that exact model.  The heatsink may be able to stay in place, this will allow you to avoid the Thermal Paste, maybe others will counter this suggestion because again I'm not sure.

Unfortunately that Manual is missing some Key Pictures, maybe the HP guys can find something better for you.  I tried to find something better on hp site, but either the site is down or my internet is not working all that well today.

I would also allow yourself at least Three hours to do this if possible, and if you need to come back to it later don't wait to long, as you might forget the procedure to reassemble.  Then after the cleaning, you should get some Compressed Air to blow things out and speed the drying process if possible. 

Maybe it will help if I post the HeatSink, and where the Thermal Paste goes.  If you type in 77 as the Left Number at top of PDF this is where it will take you.  Looks like there are two options, the top photo is if you have AMD, and if you have Intel chip it will be the bottom picture.  You would apply a thin layer of thermal paste the #2 and #4, but we will get into that more if you need later.

ZKiOr0v.png

Edited by pcpunk, 06 February 2018 - 10:17 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users