Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Using A File Recovery Program...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nulightwarriorv2

nulightwarriorv2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:05 AM

does the cluster number equate to the age of the file? Like, the most recent lost files would be in the higher numbered clusters?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 September 2006 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the cluster number has to do more with the size of the file or the number of parts to the file. The higher the cluster number the more clusters there are in the file.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 nulightwarriorv2

nulightwarriorv2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:22 PM

Well, using PC Inspector, you have to select the start cluster and the end cluster.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

The cluster number reflects the actual location on the disk. Files in the lower clusters generally are older than those with higher clusters - but this generalization only applies to unmodified file systems.

In other words, if anything was done to the disk after anything was installed - this won't necessarily hold true.

As I recall in PCInspector, there is a default setting to scan the entire disk. Try using that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users