Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6 USB in back plus 2 in front is what I like on a desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Measure for Measure

Measure for Measure

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

Why not 4 in back? I need a USB port for my mouse, keyboard, and printer. That would leave 1 empty port for 2 external hard drives, a monitor, and a video cam. Yes, my monitor has a USB attachment, which admittedly is probably optional. Still, we're up to 7 desired ports without breaking a sweat.

For the front I'd like to use a flash drive, a charging port, plus a free one for whatever. Gamers use dedicated gaming devices, right? That sums to 3. So 6 USB ports in back and 2 ports in front would be nice. Though frankly 8 in back and 4 in front might be justifiable on a non-economy desktop.

Complications:

Yes-yes, USB 3.0 is suppose to be downward compatible. It isn't always in my experience. So mixing in those cheaper USB 2.0 hubs isn't necessarily false economy.  Also, if you get an external hub, get a powered hub. But even then, some devices won't work with hubs. From this recommended review of USB hubs at Wirecutter:

Devices that don’t work with USB hubs

Some devices must be plugged directly into the host computer’s USB port—they don’t work at all when you plug them into a USB hub. For example, the Apple SuperDrive works only when you plug it directly into a USB port on an Apple laptop.

It’s impossible to account for every setup, scenario, and device, so our advice is to do a bit of research before you buy: A quick Google search will usually turn up common issues with the devices you’ll be plugging into your hub. We also recommend testing, right when you get a new hub, compatibility with your existing USB devices so that you can return the hub if it has a problem.  

Why am I ranting about this? I see a fair number of computers that skimp on USB ports. I just came across a gaming PC starting at $1100 with just 2 USB 3.0 ports, with no option to add more. This puzzles me. I would think that plugging in a keyboard, mouse, and external hard drive into a single hub would be asking for trouble. But maybe not.

I invite others here to share their experiences. I perceive this as an overlooked consideration, but I'm guessing that it's more of a nuisance than a disaster.

Built in media readers are also nice, but for some reason I think an external unit would work ok.

Edited by Measure for Measure, 03 February 2018 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Most likely the USB connection to your monitor go to a USB hub built into the monitor.  The is normally gives you a more convenient way to connect USB devices, without having to get to the back of your computer. 

The reason that they skimp on USB ports is that you can add additional USB hubs to increase the number of ports if necessary.  There are very few devices that won't work on a hub.  Those that don't work on a standard USB hub may work on a powered USB hub.

At home I have a USB keyboard and mouse connected to the back of the computer.  I also have a bar code scanner (used to quickly enter DVDs and Blurays into DVD Profiler), web camera, and a 7 port powered USB hub.  I have some ports on the front of my computer, the last thing I had connected there was a USB portable monitor when my video card was having issues.  I use the powered hub instead of the ports more frequently because it is on my desk.  So things like my Yubikey that I use for LastPass or connecting USB flash drives are right in front of me.  I bought a power strip with USB charging ports, but could use one off of the powered hub if I wanted.

I've gotten away from USB connected external drives and now have three Drobo 5N boxes to store backups of my DVDs and Blurays.

Most people don't need that many USB connections and don't have a need for more.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

I put one of these in https://www.amazon.com/Sienoc-Front-Panel-Floppy-Bracket/dp/B00GGFWJWU

That gives me 8 3's and the exisiting 3 2's

No body uses floppy'e any more this makes a good hole filler!

Here is another one to consider!  https://www.amazon.com/5-25-inch-Reader-Front-Panel/dp/B01LN2ZCWO

Edited by OldPhil, 05 February 2018 - 09:18 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 STS-1

STS-1

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

HP 8200 elite is what I would suggest....They are a refurbished unit so it will keep costs down, put in a ssd and 8 GB of ram, you get an i5 processor and it has 4 usb in front and 6 in back! Also has a small form factor so it is not as bulky as a regular desktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users