Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Ryzen 1700X GTX 1070] I've spent thousands & 2 weeks trying to fix this

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gordon2

gordon2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

Hi, this is my first post. I found bleepingcomputer from a friend, i'm hoping someone would help me diagnose my issue.
I think most people have been in the spot of having an issue that no matter what you do, will not be fixed or show a clear issue.

I have tried everything to fix this issue. I spent days googling everything & trying everything and I cannot find a solution :(

My specs: 
1080P 144hz Fullscreen always 
Windows 10

Latencymon: 

I have tried reinstalling windows, replaced MOBO & CPU & Ram.

I've tried a clean boot & the problem persisted. I've reinstalled AMD chipset & GPU drivers multiple times.

Overclocked CPU & GPU. 

My CPU temp stays under 70C always.

my CPU & GPU don't go over 30% in task manager on load.

I play Overwatch on the lowest possible graphic settings & fall to around 100-130 FPS which is terrible for my build.

Now I have an additional problem, I run at the same low FPS but it's stuttering like crazy in all games. Stuttering issues were on & off when I try different things to fix the issue but only began happening when I upgraded my RAM. My ram is running at 3000mhz DOCP, it's higher than that but my pc wont boot on any higher speed.

I would appreciate anyone that can point me in the correct direction.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 February 2018 - 06:27 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Internal hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

I've reset my BIOS & any OC's an this is the userbenchmark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7157070

My pc is an absolute mystery, please help.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

I've reset my BIOS & any OC's an this is the userbenchmark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7157070

My pc is an absolute mystery, please help.

Where to start?  So to clarify, you have just completely reset the BIOS (loaded optimized defaults etc.) so it's now all at factory default settings?  As you can see that run suggests the components are performing badly in relation to others of a similar spec...

Please run Speccy and use the "publish a snapshot to web" option - include a link in your next post.

Please confirm what power supply and what CPU cooler you are using.

Is the GPU installed in the x16 slot nearest the CPU?  This is the only slot which gets full bandwidth so it should be used first.  Your memory appears to be running in single channel mode even though your UserBenchmark profile indicates you have 2 x DIMM's.  Check the motherboard manual to ensure you have the modules installed in the correct slots for dual channel operation with 2 DIMM's.

EDIT

Also you have a lot of drives connected (I'm counting 5 SATA devices including the ODD).  Are all of them absolutely necessary?

Edited by jonuk76, 03 February 2018 - 09:27 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Hey, thanks for replying

I reset my bios to factory settings, yes.

I published a snapshot from speccy, my PC name has personal info in it. So I put it on my personal website with the PC name replaced (if you cannot trust it, I can screenshot the speccy webpage): http://mercymains.com/speccy/I3ZAyynyOPwwZOCvKylkWkI.htm

Theres two black and two grey slots for RAM. I broke one of the grey slots which I think is dual channel, I put too much pressure on the lock in. I use a black slot for the second piece of RAM i have. I tried using just one stick in the only grey slot I have still and the issue still persisted. I tried 2 other sets of ram sticks as well.

1 SSD contains my windows

1 SDD contains my work

1 HDD contains all the data from my previous old PC

1 HDD contains my current PC data like photos, games, etc.

Then there is an E: drive which is called system reserve.

Please let me know what you think and if you need anything else

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#5 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

Cooler is: Cooler Master 212 w AM4 bracket

PSU is: Toughpower Grand RGB 650W Gold Fully Modular

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hi, the snapshot as you've provided it is fine.  It does show the memory in single channel mode, with a 2T Command Rate.  Obviously it's running at a default JEDEC speed (2133 mhz) as you've just reset the BIOS.  So it won't boot at the XMP profile speed, I take it?  It's a shame one of the slots is broken because having memory in dual channel mode is essential for best performance, and additionally I've read of examples of odd performance problems being caused simply by having two DIMM's installed in single channel mode.

Presumably the system is idle at the time of the Speccy snapshot?  In which case, the CPU temperature reported (64 degrees c), is a bit hotter than I think it should be.  I've got a 1700X myself (for comparative purposes, and yes I have an old GPU ;) - http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6545903 which I believe was OC'd at 3.8 Ghz ) and the last time I used Speccy I note it doesn't take account of the 20 degree "offset", so reports 20 degrees higher than other software.  Even so, 44 degrees seems a bit warm as an idle temp to me (generally, it's in the low 30's for me).  Have you monitored temperatures under load?  I believe the CPU throttles at 75 degrees or 95 degrees with the offset (depending on which app is reading the temp).  If it is getting up to those sort of temperatures under high load, then that will definitely impact performance.  If that's the case, then double checking CPU contact with the cooler would be worth doing. 

I do think, at least for the purpose of fault finding, it's worth disconnecting drives temporarily that aren't needed for it to boot.  I've had an issue myself once where a faulty or incompatible SATA drive was causing mystery performance and stability problems on a system.  

I'll have a mull over it and see if I can think of anything further.  Perhaps someone else has some thoughts too?

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

In the bios, at idle the temp is around 45C. I'm going to try and disconnect not essential drives and see what happens. Thank you so much for helping. at load, my temps dont go above 70C as ive seen.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2018 - 07:19 AM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

One other thought quickly - Windows power management mode - try High Performance instead of Balanced.  In the default balanced settings there are aggressive core parking and CPU down clocking settings to save power, which I believe are aimed at Intel CPU's and can have a very negative effect on Ryzen's performance.  AMD actually released their own version of the balanced setting (included in the AMD chipset driver package) because of this.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 February 2018 - 10:58 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

Yes, I use AMD's balanced. I unplugged all but two of my SSD's and I have the same issue. High preformance has no luck either :(

My desktop seems much more smoother after unplugging SATA's though, wow

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

My desktop seems much more smoother after unplugging SATA's though, wow

Interesting.  In what way?  May suggest something there is contributing to the problem, if not the whole thing by itself.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:17 AM

I noticed that when I moved my mouse or browser around it would stutter a lot, now it rarely stutters. Much smoother movement.

Not much improvement in games though.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2018 - 07:20 AM.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

How about userbenchmark?  Might be worth a run seeing as it gives something concrete to compare to as changes are made.

Just as a quick check, your GPU is in the primary PCIe X16_1 slot is it?  The other two are slower, and shared with other motherboard resources.

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

How about userbenchmark?  Might be worth a run seeing as it gives something concrete to compare to as changes are made.

Just as a quick check, your GPU is in the primary PCIe X16_1 slot is it?  The other two are slower, and shared with other motherboard resources.

Gpu is in the x16 slot, heres a userbenchmark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/7163463

Terrible as expected :( This PC is impossible

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

Yes there is only one true 16x PCIe 3.0 slot - the one closest the CPU.  It is strange.  Whatever the problem is the GPU is apparently performing at a much lower level than it should be and the memory bandwidth is low (which is at least partly explained by lack of dual channel memory).  To get dual channel for two DIMM's the preferable configuration is to use the two grey slots.  If one of those slots is broken, I wonder if using the two black slots alone is worth a try.  It'll either work, or not...

May be a total shot in the dark but I see you have two monitors, one 144 hz and one 60 hz.  I wonder if having two different refresh rates operating at one time is having some sort of odd effect on games?  Clutching at straws a bit, but stranger things have happened...

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 gordon2

gordon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:13 PM

I was able to get the ram stick into the broken slot, its dual channel now. Only the latch tip is broken off.

Ive tried unplugging one monitor, no luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users