Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusion after setting up new laptop (everything signed into Microsoft now)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

Hello,

This may seem like common sense to you experts out there, but little old me gets confused easily when it comes to computers.

I recently bought a new HP laptop with Windows 10 on it, which I have never used before until now.  I don't know what happened when I set up my computer, but now instead of just having my name show up when I sign in (I am also the administrator on my computer), I instead always see my email address as my username when I turn on my computer to sign in.  I miss seeing my name when I sign in; seeing an email address instead looks silly IMO.  Is there any way I can change this, without messing things up so that I remain the administrator?

Also, another thing I hate is that I am always logged into my "Microsoft Account" (whatever that is that I accidently signed up for).  With Windows 8/8.1, I didn't have this; I simply signed into my computer and that was that.  Now, every time I get on the internet using Edge, I am automatically signed into my Microsoft Account.  It is very annoying.  Is there anyway to change this as well?  I don't want to be automatically signed into a MS account everywhere I go on my computer.  Even when I go into Microsoft Office (which I bought separately and used the key that came with it to activate it), the programs have my email address in the upper right hand corner.  It's like I'm being followed everywhere I go on my computer!

If anyone could give me advice on how to fix these things, I would REALLY appreciate it!  Buying a new computer used to be fun, but this time around it's very confusing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Here you go. I am not sure how this will affect Office though.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-switch-back-to-a-local-account-from-a-microsoft-account/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

I strongly suggest that you get used to using a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account rather than a local account.  There are some big advantages to doing so.

As far as seeing your name rather than e-mail address, have you ever updated your profile on your Microsoft Account?  I've seen my own first and last name forever now.  You can manage the profile on your Microsoft Account, to which your Windows 10 user account is linked, by opening Settings -> Accounts -> Manage My Microsoft Account link.

As soon as you are signed in to your Microsoft Account you will see the "Edit Name" option at the upper left area of the browser window.  I'm willing to bet you never gave one and it's using your e-mail address instead because that's all it knows.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:08 AM

No need to sign in with a Microsoft Account if you don't want to (it is your machine... your rules)

Local account with admin rights works fine.

All Win 10 machines I set up are done this way.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

No need to sign in with a Microsoft Account if you don't want to (it is your machine... your rules)

Local account with admin rights works fine.

All Win 10 machines I set up are done this way.

You are, of course, 100% correct.

That being said, I encourage the use of the Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account because I've seen it pull a lot of folks bacon from the fire when they lose their original software media and/or license keys for things like Microsoft Office that cost a bloody fortune to replace.  If you are using a Microsoft Account linked Win 10 user account all of that is held on the account and for the specific device or devices on which you already have the software installed and licensed.  If you ever have to reinstall it makes life so much easier (much like the digital entitlement for Windows 10 makes it the easiest version of Windows ever as far as ability to wipe and reinstall at will).

No one is forced to either stick with local or use Microsoft Account linked Win 10 user accounts.  But they should look, and carefully, at the advantages and disadvantages associated with each.  For myself, I see no advantages to the local user account in practice, at least as my primary user account on my Windows 10 machines.  I have, however, created local accounts for testing purposes (and having used them is what formed my opinion).  Others, of course, will differ.

P.S.:  The use of a Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account is also a godsend for users who are inclined to forget their passwords, too, as you can use your Microsoft Account to change it to something new.  No third-party software is necessary nor is a password reset disc.  Of course, this means you should take the time to actually create the security questions and answer them that would be used to allow you to get back in to your Microsoft Account when you've forgotten the password.

Edited by britechguy, 04 February 2018 - 11:52 AM.
Added P.S.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

If using a Microsoft Account it's always a good idea to have a local account as a "backdoor" should you get any problems with the Microsoft Account.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

If using a Microsoft Account it's always a good idea to have a local account as a "backdoor" should you get any problems with the Microsoft Account.

Serious question John:  Like what?

I have yet to see anyone have issues with a Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account that are any different than what have always been encountered on occasion with Windows accounts (or other accounts requiring login in general).

One interesting thing that many people do not know is that your Win10 user account password is saved locally on the machine so that you can log in whether or not you have an internet connection.  This also creates an interesting situation where you can rig things such that your Microsoft Account password and the Win10 user account password for the account linked to the MS Account are different.  The local copy of the existing password will only get replaced upon first use of the new password you've set on the Microsoft Account in the cloud.  Until or unless you do this, you can keep logging in on your Windows 10 machine with your existing password while you can only log in to your Microsoft Account with the new one.  But the first time you log in to your Win10 machine with the new password the old one is gone for good.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

I could be wrong but during the setup on a new computer the Microsoft Account would usually be the only account on the computer? If the user profile became corrupted where the user could not login using his account password a reset would not work. If there is only one account, the Microsoft Account, there is no other way to access the computer other than using a boot disk to enable the hidden Administrator Account. Am I wrong on this? If I can remember correctly, this happened to a user on the BC forum but I can't remember the thread.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

John,

You are correct, but the same thing would be true if one had a single account, period.   Whether it is a local or Microsoft Account linked Win10 user account is not what's at the root of the problem.   Also, one can elect to set up a local account instead at initial setup, it's just "somewhat hidden" as far as doing so since Microsoft is encouraging the use of Win10 accounts with the linkage to a Microsoft Account.

It certainly doesn't hurt to create a second account with admin privileges that you have in your back pocket to access the machine should the primary account go wonky in some way.  I actually have that situation on several machines, but not for that reason, but because I wanted to test out how things behaved differently between accounts when certain settings are tweaked.

I guess I'm really lucky (at least as far as Windows accounts go, through all versions of Windows, as I'm not generally really lucky) in that I have never had a Windows account "go south" in all the decades I've been using Windows.

Edited by britechguy, 04 February 2018 - 12:31 PM.
Made note that setting up a local account at initial setup is possible.

#10 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

Thank you all for the responses and giving me a bit to think about.  Tomorrow I will use all of the information given to me here so that I can hopefully get my new laptop set to my liking.  And thank you for letting me know the pros and cons of having a Windows account.  I'm sure it has its benefits, but as of now, I think I just want to stick with a local account. 

And JohnC_21 - thank you so much for the link.  After reading it, I am so glad to realize I'm not the only one who has had this problem.

I will let you all know tomorrow how everything turned out.

#11 SoXfused

SoXfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Here you go. I am not sure how this will affect Office though.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-switch-back-to-a-local-account-from-a-microsoft-account/

The instructions in that link worked perfectly!  Thanks!  So nice not having everything connected to a Microsoft Account anymore. 

One last question:  Do you know how I can see what programs run when I start up my computer?  Since this is a new computer, I'm sure several programs that I don't need to automatically start up were set up to do so and is causing my PC to slow down.  If you could tell me how I can see which programs run at start up and how to deselect the ones I don't want, that would be great! 

Thank you.

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:35 AM

A quick way for now ...

Right-click on taskbar and select to open taskmanager.

Make sure 'more details' is selected at the bottom.

Click on start-up tab at the top.

#13 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:15 AM

I agree with Opera , Local Account.

I have Installed about 20 Win 10s and not had an issue with the local Account and finding it.

I was under the impression Microsoft Account you had to be Online , well for me it was an issue.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,522 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:30 AM

I was under the impression Microsoft Account you had to be Online . . .

For the record, you absolutely do not.  A Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account can be used whether you have an internet connection or not.

#15 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Bri.....in the Memory Bank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users