Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Green Lines" Video in Firefox but not Chrome . . .

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

For a great many YouTube videos (but not limited to them, others do it, too) if I'm viewing them in Firefox (whether embedded or not) they appear much like the following:

in_firefox.jpg 

Notice the thin green line across the bottom of the video.  This is incredibly frequent, probably over 90% of the time.  You can't help but see the broad green band across the main portion of the video and the color distortion in the non-banded part.  This isn't quite as frequent and tends to "pop in" after the video starts and may, or may not, stay in the same position but once it's there it generally stays somewhere in view even if it moves with a jump horizontally somewhere else.

Contrast this with the very same video, from the very same site, in Chrome:

in_chrome.jpg

This seems to have started over the last couple of weeks and was sudden onset.  I'm just curious if this is happening or has happened to anyone else.  If so, is there a known solution?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

In using the latest Firefox 58.0.1 and Ubuntu. Don't see what you see. I included the nerd info in the image below.

lFurDoo.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

buddy215,

Thanks for the additional input.   I should have said that I am running under Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299.192.  That could make a difference.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

I could boot into Windows 7 to check...but that would still be comparing apples to oranges in a small way. Someone

using similar Windows 10 and Firefox will come along.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1176512

Also you are a bit behind Brian on Win 10, the latest build is 16299.214

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

No issue Win 7 home, pro, starter

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:45 PM

Build 219 has not been pushed universally.  It depends on a couple of factors.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 DangerousDave

DangerousDave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I'm having the same problem. It started two or three days ago. (I have a screenshot but I can't work out how to put a picture on this forum!)
I'm using Firefox 58.0.1 (64-bit).
Windows 10 Home. Version 1709. OS Build 16299.192

HP Pavilion Laptop

The problem doesn't happen with Internet Explorer

I've searched with Google for a solution - most suggest disabling add-ons or starting in safe mode but this has no effect.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:45 PM

I use Imgur . Just start a free account there and upload the image from your computer. Copy the image and

paste it in your next post.

Edited by buddy215, 03 February 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

I took a look at the Firefox support page Green Bar on YouTube and Other Videos that was posted by Opera and turning off hardware acceleration and restarting Firefox has cured the problem for me.  I already had the latest display drivers installed.

The 

• media.windows-media-foundation.allow-d3d11-dxva

item in Firefox preferences in the about:config page no longer appears to exist (or at least doesn't exist on my machine).

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 DangerousDave

DangerousDave

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

Thank you britechguy - turning off hardware acceleration worked for me!
Incidentally, there is no media.windows-media-foundation.allow-d3d11-dxva on my machine either.
Thanks again.

buddy215

Thanks for the advive. I didn't realise that you can't upload pics directly.
Cheers.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

I didn't realise that you can't upload pics directly.

Cheers.

It depends on the forum on BC, some support picture upload as an attachment and others don't (this one doesn't).

If you hit the More Reply Options button at the lower right of the quick reply box you'll get the full-featured reply editor.  If attachments are possible for a given forum you'll see the attach function immediately below the compose box.

In any case, if you are able to host an image externally (e.g., Imgur or other [except Google Drive]) you can use the insert picture control (the one that looks like a small photo that's to the right of the font controls) and supply the URL and the photo will show up inline.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

Glad to hear the Hardware Acceleration fix worked for you Brian.

As regards Build 16299.214 it's a cumulative update which you should have had by now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4058258/windows-10-update-kb4058258

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

For those viewing this topic....

QUOTE: Note: This article applies to Firefox version 55 and above.

Firefox automatically uses settings that work best with your computer. You can modify these settings in your Firefox OptionsPreferences page. Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png 2017-10-22-15-37-15-18c775.png and choose Options.Preferences. In the General panel, go down to the Performance section and uncheck the box next to Use recommended performance settings. You will then be able to change the following settings:

• Use hardware acceleration when available: This allows Firefox to use your computer's graphics processor, if possible, instead of the main processor, to display graphics-heavy web content such as videos or games. This frees up resources on your computer so it can run other applications, like Firefox, faster. This box is checked by default but the feature isn't available for all graphics processors. You must restart Firefox after changing this setting, before it will take effect.
  • Content process limit: With Multiprocess Firefox, also called electrolysis or e10s , Firefox runs web content for all tabs separately from the main Firefox process for increased security and performance. Using multiple content processes can further increase performance and minimize the impact of content process crashes. You can modify this setting if multiprocess is enabled; however, having too many content processes can slow down your computer, and consequently, Firefox. The recommended maximum is four, but you can set up to seven.

2p00amp.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users